AVIC411.com

gripes about appradio 2 & samsung s3

I bought the AppRadio 2 and Samsung S3 around the same time. For about a week I used the iPhone 3GS and I couldn't get any sort of display with anything, even bluetooth so I was pretty happy thinking my new S3 would work flawlessly like my friends iPhone 4s does. I couldn't be more wrong.

When you connect the phone you got about a 50% chance a bluetooth prompt will show up on the android phone in 5mins. Your only media player is CarMediaPlayer which is alright, but if you want to use Nav and switch a song, you have to manually do it and sometimes while driving it's not something you should be doing.

If I keep the phone plugged in and shut the car off, I always have to unplug the phone and plug it back in for the deck to recognize it.

The sound on this thing is absolutely terrible. My Kenwood dnx8120 before sounded like an orchestra, this sounds like a tapedeck.

I can't seem to connect a USB thumbdrive to this thing. exFat or NTFS

Are there any solutions to my problems here? I've read the "tasker" thing for bluetooth but it almost rarely connects instantly and it seems to require buying the app or rooting the phone to get it.

I know there's several other things that drive me crazy about this deck but I can't recall right now. Not to mention Pioneer customer service in Canada has no clue. "they havne't played with them yet" amazing. And to think this is basically the best money can buy for android phone compatibility. Pioneer rep told me it would sound as good as the kenwood, can connect the phone wireless through bluetooth, USB Thumbdrive, etc... no. Oh and it drains my Samsung S3 battery faster than it can charge it lol. If it's out in direct sunlight the phone overheats while charging and shuts off too.

I get the bluetooth prompt about 30 seconds in. I'm annoyed that I get a prompt at all though, as the phone should be able to see the AppRadio as a trusted device and automatically allow a connection every time.

Yes it's retarded that you need to switch the app to change the song. They should have a motion programmed for skipping tracks at the very least.

I don't have an issue with the sound on mine. Check your source material. If you're streaming from the internet make sure you're not on a low bandwidth setting. If you're playing MP3's make sure they have a high bitrate.

AppRadio doesn't support the use of a USB thumbdrive for anything other than firmware updates.

Tasker will definitely require an app purchase as well as rooting the phone. XDA already has root methods available and honestly, it's worth it for other benefits regardless.

The battery drain issue is for one of two reasons:

1) You're using the Pioneer kit, which supplies something like 500ma to the phone. That will kill the battery if your phone is doing anything at all.

2) You're not using the Pioneer kit, but you have a cheap charger connected to your MHL adapter. Same thing as above. Battery will die.

I recommend a regular MHL kit with a 1a charger.

Double click the home button to get a small popup that allows you to change songs.

There is no usb music on this thing. It should be added as its ridiculous to be forced to plug in a phone or ipod just to listen to any music. It's my number one gripe with this deck. My nexus has 4.1 on it and is no longer compatible at all, Ihad to borrow an ipod just to be able to listen to music until Pioneer fixes the 4.1 issue.

My usb is plugged into the deck to charge the phone so I haven't run into some of the problems your mentioning. Maybe it was a good thing I choose that route.

Hdmi out is capable of high quality, so it must be the mp3 quality maybe?

Glad to see I am not the only Canadian to get one of these. I still don't regret it but Pioneer has a long way to go before I would call this a good purchase. I still think the only real answer is an Android powered deck, but until a decent one is on the market this is the next best thing.

I actually just have the Samsung MHL connection with the USB in it. the phone won't work otherwise. There's absolutely no way to get a USB thumbdrive on this thing? It has a USB port! lol... If I could use a USB thumbdrive and use a good GPS like Waze that's basically all I'd need. I guess I'm just so surprised how this could possibly be the best on the market and it's still terrible. I believe it's the 2v preout that's making the sound rather stale. I have 2800watts in my car... I'm guessing that has something to do with it. amplifying shit. regardless of a minimum 192kpbs or flac, it's still nowhere near the sound quality of my kenwood even tuned.

The whole getting prompted 3 times just to connect the phone and when I finally get a passcode prompt, I swear this thing detects my hand over it and closes that window. I tried 3 times in a row today to hit that Okay button for pairing and it disappeared right when I did each time...! Not to mention during my commute to work the sound just stopped... then the screen went blank. I bought a Pioneer remote for it too, the SR-CD100? and I can't get that to work either. I feel like I have to start looking for other solutions like a tablet connected to a "BitOne" or just something. What's the point of this unit if it just mirrors my phone? All I need is to get something for preouts on my phone with a voltage higher than 2. I'm going to root but waiting on cynmod 10 and jellybean. pending it works!

I tend to think that the ultimate car deck is going to be an android powered deck itself. The Appradio deck software seems to have been written by children. Having said that it's still seems the best option out right now for connecting Android phones. Least it will be when they update the app so I can start using my 4.1 Nexus with it again. lol

Sadly even with a 1000 dollar bounty on XDA to create an app that would give the Appradio full control over the phone there have been no takers (yet) And personally I think the best option is to throw out the deck os itself and put on android. I am sure its possible but unless someone with the knowledge to do it has a look we'll never know.

Even with all it's faults I don't regret buying the deck, though the minute I can buy a decent dual din android deck I will most likely retire the Appradio to my wife's car. Until then I'll just keep playing with it.

I tend to think that the ultimate car deck is going to be an android powered deck itself. The Appradio deck software seems to have been written by children. Having said that it's still seems the best option out right now for connecting Android phones. Least it will be when they update the app so I can start using my 4.1 Nexus with it again. lol

Sadly even with a 1000 dollar bounty on XDA to create an app that would give the Appradio full control over the phone there have been no takers (yet) And personally I think the best option is to throw out the deck os itself and put on android. I am sure its possible but unless someone with the knowledge to do it has a look we'll never know.

Even with all it's faults I don't regret buying the deck, though the minute I can buy a decent dual din android deck I will most likely retire the Appradio to my wife's car. Until then I'll just keep playing with it.

Initially this is what I was holding out for too, but there are a few problems with a full Android Solution...Price and internet connectivity.

So far all the full Android Double Din solutions are very expensive. $1000 for a Gingerbread solution that probably doesn't have that great of a native radio app? http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/17/ca-fi-621000-brings-infotainment-to-cars-with-double-din-witho/

Second, $1000 isn't so bad for some of these double din radios, but that's only half the problem. Android isn't a whole lot of use with out some sort of internet connection. So you're still either forced to buy a another phone/data line from a GSM company, I'm currently a Verizon customer and would be SOL. Or use your phone as a hotspot constantly, which kills your battery probably faster then the MHL connection.

That's why I liked this radio. I could use my existing cell connection and GPS. It runs Ice Cream Sandwich or what ever other Android version gets released (I know about the Jelly Bean problems currently, but I'm not worried they'll be fixed) and the price is cheap comparably. It's got some problems yes, but I really haven't noticed any bad ones in the short time I've been playing around with it.

Initially this is what I was holding out for too, but there are a few problems with a full Android Solution...Price and internet connectivity.

So far all the full Android Double Din solutions are very expensive. $1000 for a Gingerbread solution that probably doesn't have that great of a native radio app? http://www.engadget....uble-din-witho/

Second, $1000 isn't so bad for some of these double din radios, but that's only half the problem. Android isn't a whole lot of use with out some sort of internet connection. So you're still either forced to buy a another phone/data line from a GSM company, I'm currently a Verizon customer and would be SOL. Or use your phone as a hotspot constantly, which kills your battery probably faster then the MHL connection.

That's why I liked this radio. I could use my existing cell connection and GPS. It runs Ice Cream Sandwich or what ever other Android version gets released (I know about the Jelly Bean problems currently, but I'm not worried they'll be fixed) and the price is cheap comparably. It's got some problems yes, but I really haven't noticed any bad ones in the short time I've been playing around with it.

I am curious as to how the videos they show on the website miraculously have an internet connection.

I am curious as to how the videos they show on the website miraculously have an internet connection.

https://store.ca-fi.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=146

WLAN or 3G Dongle (backside)

As I said, you either need to use your phone as a wifi hotspot or you need to pay for a monthly data (i.e. Sim card) from at&t, TMobile, etc.

They don't just give you free internet.

https://store.ca-fi....&product_id=146

As I said, you either need to use your phone as a wifi hotspot or you need to pay for a monthly data (i.e. Sim card) from at&t, TMobile, etc.

They don't just give you free internet.

No free interent? Ya don't say! That page is blocked (at work) due to the bad certificate, so you'll have to pardon me if I didn't get a chance to browse their site in its entirety.

If it is set up so you can preload maps of areas like you can on your phone, a constant internet connection wouldn't be an issue.

Since it is Android, I would assume there is some caching of maps. But that only works on Google Maps I believe? I don't think it actually works on Google Navigation. So your GPS would be able to pinpoint you, but there would be no maps downloaded behind it without a constant internet connection, especially if you make a wrong turn or go off route a little ways.

I emailed them a few months ago asking about the 3g dongle and gps options.

Here was their reply:

Hello E--- -------,

Thank you for your Email and interest in our Ca-Fi products.

The Ca-Fi system has a GPS Antenna, so you do not need the extra 3G dongle for navigation. For all other things related to internet, such as the market (we use an alternative market) you need something to connect with to the internet. You can use our Wi-Fi dongle and tether wireless from the 3G of your telephone or you can use our 3G dongle and connect via your 3G provider.

Which provider is the right one for you, you would have to check by yourself, but it is important that the provider supports HSDPA

Best regards,

--

H-------- S---------

Doesn't specifically say a sim card is needed, but that is how "HSDPA" 3G providers work

Another point I just saw rereading the email, "such as the market (we use an alternative market)", at least with Ca-Fi you can't access the Google Market.

Since it is Android, I would assume there is some caching of maps. But that only works on Google Maps I believe? I don't think it actually works on Google Navigation. So your GPS would be able to pinpoint you, but there would be no maps downloaded behind it without a constant internet connection, especially if you make a wrong turn or go off route a little ways.

I emailed them a few months ago asking about the 3g dongle and gps options.

Here was their reply:

Doesn't specifically say a sim card is needed, but that is how "HSDPA" 3G providers work

Another point I just saw rereading the email, "such as the market (we use an alternative market)", at least with Ca-Fi you can't access the Google Market.

I'm pretty sure the Navigation is just an overlay program...it still uses the Maps database. I wouldn't make sense if they did it otherwise.