AVIC411.com

a few questions before i install

I just bought a z1 and it arrived today with all my accessories. It's all a confusing jumble of wires and instructions on my table right now. I've installed two single din head units in vehicles in the past, but nothing near this involved. I'm a little disoriented with it all, but I suppose it will start to make sense once I start.

I had a few questions before I begin though.

1) I was planning to use wire nuts to connect the wires instead of soldering. Aside from taking up a little more space, is there anything wrong with this method?

2) I bought a factory reconditioned z1, so I'm unsure as to if I'll be playing by the pre or post 07/06 rules. The sticker says April 06, but there's a big red R stamped on it, which I'm assuming indicated reconditioned. Any idea how I'll know which bypass to use? Other than hooking it up and seeing?

3) My Metra 70-2003 has a warning sheet that says "Due to the fact that a switched 12-volt accessory lead does NOT exist in the factory harness, an accessory source must be located. Do NOT use the 2003's 12-volt accessory for these vehicles. Use the separate red wire provided...locate an accessory power source..." I was worried this applied to any vehicle requiring this harness, but I noticed there's a list at the top which does not include my vehicle, a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. So I'm assuming this warning does not apply to me. Can anyone with knowledge about it confirm this?

4) I'm unclear how to ground a wire...when some instructions on here say to ground the parking break wire, I'm not sure exactly what that means. Maybe I'll come across this as I weed through my instructions, but I just wanted to put that out there for some reason...

I imagine once I'm in the dash things may make more sense (although with it being below freezing outside, sitting in my car for hours does not sound appealing), but I may have many more questions for the group. I've been reading the forum in preparation and to hopefully answer some questions, but I'm not sure how it will all go.

Thank you in advance for any help the group can provide, you guys seem like a great, friendly source of advice.

I just bought a z1 and it arrived today with all my accessories. It's all a confusing jumble of wires and instructions on my table right now. I've installed two single din head units in vehicles in the past, but nothing near this involved. I'm a little disoriented with it all, but I suppose it will start to make sense once I start.

I had a few questions before I begin though.

1) I was planning to use wire nuts to connect the wires instead of soldering. Aside from taking up a little more space, is there anything wrong with this method?

Wire Nuts + car = very bad idea. If you're not going to solder, at least use butt connectors. Hell even twisting and electrical taping the wiring is better than wire nuts.

2) I bought a factory reconditioned z1, so I'm unsure as to if I'll be playing by the pre or post 07/06 rules. The sticker says April 06, but there's a big red R stamped on it, which I'm assuming indicated reconditioned. Any idea how I'll know which bypass to use? Other than hooking it up and seeing?

Well it's reconditioned, so it could have had the blue tooth update done, so basically no you'll have to hook it up and see.

3) My Metra 70-2003 has a warning sheet that says "Due to the fact that a switched 12-volt accessory lead does NOT exist in the factory harness, an accessory source must be located. Do NOT use the 2003's 12-volt accessory for these vehicles. Use the separate red wire provided...locate an accessory power source..." I was worried this applied to any vehicle requiring this harness, but I noticed there's a list at the top which does not include my vehicle, a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. So I'm assuming this warning does not apply to me. Can anyone with knowledge about it confirm this?

The vibe is a mix of gm and toyota. You can use the red accy wire in the 70-2003 harness with out a problem.

4) I'm unclear how to ground a wire...when some instructions on here say to ground the parking break wire, I'm not sure exactly what that means. Maybe I'll come across this as I weed through my instructions, but I just wanted to put that out there for some reason...

To do the 7/06 bypass tie the parking brake wire and the "secret wire" to the black ground wire in the 70-2003 harness.

I imagine once I'm in the dash things may make more sense (although with it being below freezing outside, sitting in my car for hours does not sound appealing), but I may have many more questions for the group. I've been reading the forum in preparation and to hopefully answer some questions, but I'm not sure how it will all go.

Most of your work can be done inside. Ie wiring up the harness, putting the dash kit together. With basic handtools, you should be able to remove the stock radio in about 20 minutes. The gps antenna can be placed on the dash whereever is easiest for you to run the wire.

Thank you in advance for any help the group can provide, you guys seem like a great, friendly source of advice.

We are sometimes, depends on the day of the week and our mood :wink:

Good deal, I'll pick up a soldering starter kit at RadioShack for $7.99.

Good idea. Make sure the electrical tape you get is 3M Supper 33+. Best stuff you can use when it comes to wiring in cars.

What's the "secret wire" you mention?

www.sminntech.com/z1flash That has all the info you'll need for bypass and pictures too.

On a side note, I haven't been able to locate on the web where the VSS and Reverse wire would be on an 03 Vibe. Does anyone know?

2003 Pontiac Vibe

Speed Sense purple/white pin 17, conn. E5 at ECM

Notes: The ECM (Engine Control Module) is behind the glove box. Connector E5 is the second plug from the right.

Reverse Light red/black + front of fuse box, 10 pin plug

merry xmas

"Reverse Light red/black + front of fuse box, 10 pin plug"

I found the fuse box, it's under the instrument panel. It's a tight squeeze and there's a lot in there. I've seen several red/black wires, I can't tel what's a 10 pin plug and what isn't on all of them though. What does the + mean, and where exactly would "front of fuse box" be? Above the fuse box? Between the fuse box and the driver? Between the fuse box and the engine?