AVIC411.com

Hey Guys,

I recently had to uninstall my nav from my car due warranty work on my 2006 ford fusion.

Prior to the work - I had the antenna on the dash board pushed up against the window. Signal was PERFECT. Upon re-installing it, the GPS signal is TERRIBLE. Most of the time the signal status is reporting 0-2 bars of signal strength.

I called pioneer and all they told me to do is try out the signal with the antenna outside the car. I did a quick test and put the antenna outside my moonroof. Signal got a little better. As a final test - I ran the wire into my trunk and fished it outside the car throught the trunk opening and have it mounted on the trunk VIA the magnet.... Since then - every bar is lit up and I have two green bars next to the antenna on the nav system..... Needless to say, my nav system is now performing 110%

I dont understand what the hell the deal is... I am thinking defective antenna? Before I go trying to get a replacement I was curious where you all put your nav antenna and how the reception is with it at the current location....

Thanks guys :D

when you put the antenna on the dash was it on the metallic pad? The gps antenna needs a metallic base to get optimum signal. Also when you put the antenna back on the dash, besides looking for any gashes on the wire, make sure the wire isnt kinked anywhere.

when you put the antenna on the dash was it on the metallic pad? The gps antenna needs a metallic base to get optimum signal. Also when you put the antenna back on the dash, besides looking for any gashes on the wire, make sure the wire isnt kinked anywhere.

I did not put it on the metallic pad... DOH.

Also, I coiled up and wire tied the excess wire... Not sure if that could affect it?

Where do you put your antenna?

I have my antenna on my dash sitting on the metallic pad. Many people here actually have it INSIDe their dash(!) sitting on a metal bracket or something, with no other metal in the dash on top of the antenna. The signal passes easily through the plastic and leather of the dash.

The excess wire I have is coiled up also, but done carefully, with no kinks, twists, etc on the wire.

I hope this works for you!

I have my antenna on my dash sitting on the metallic pad. Many people here actually have it INSIDe their dash(!) sitting on a metal bracket or something, with no other metal in the dash on top of the antenna. The signal passes easily through the plastic and leather of the dash.

The excess wire I have is coiled up also, but done carefully, with no kinks, twists, etc on the wire.

I hope this works for you!

Hm.... I never thought of putting it on the metal in the dash... if it connects to the frame of the car then to the surface.....

I am going to try that! If i get no signal again I am going to assume that I screwed the wire up on the re-install.

Ill let you know my outcome... THanks for the quick response dude.

Of course!!!

So I re-ran everything and set it up on the metallic pad on my dash.... I get about 4-5 bars lit up. Not nearly as good as it was outside... But the thing is, when I originally set this up the signal was amazing and it was always full. I called Pioneer and they are going to send me a new antenna. Hopefully this resolves it.

How many bars of signal strength do you get?