AVIC411.com

XM power wire and 07/06 bypass "secret wire"

I'm piecing it all together slowly. I've come up with three new questions.

1) What do I hook the yellow power wire from the XM receiver to? Can I add it to the two yellow wires from the Metra harness and the Z1 harness? Have all three hooked together?

2) Wire #2 of the 07/06 bypass is from connector #2. I had set connector #2 aside as a part I won't need because I won't have an external monitor, nor a wired remote, nor a rearview camera. Although I can't figure out what the "Guide On" yellow with black stripe wire is for. Even if I don't need anything else on that connector, I'll still have to plug it in, add a wire and ground it? And to ground it, can I just screw it to something metal on the body of the car?

3) The z1 wire harness has an orange white-striped wire with an ILL tag on it. But my Metra harness' orange white-striped wire says "positive dimmer" on it. The illumination wire on the Metra harness is solid orange. Based on the labelling, I would assume the Z1's orange white-striped wire should be connected to the Metra's solid orange wire, but I thought wires were supposed to match.

Thank you again.

I'm piecing it all together slowly. I've come up with three new questions.

1) What do I hook the yellow power wire from the XM receiver to? Can I add it to the two yellow wires from the Metra harness and the Z1 harness? Have all three hooked together?

Yup, I do it all the time at work.

2) Wire #2 of the 07/06 bypass is from connector #2. I had set connector #2 aside as a part I won't need because I won't have an external monitor, nor a wired remote, nor a rearview camera. Although I can't figure out what the "Guide On" yellow with black stripe wire is for. Even if I don't need anything else on that connector, I'll still have to plug it in, add a wire and ground it? And to ground it, can I just screw it to something metal on the body of the car?

Yup pretty much. You can ground the "secret wire" to the same place as the parking brake wire and the black ground wire

3) The z1 wire harness has an orange white-striped wire with an ILL tag on it. But my Metra harness' orange white-striped wire says "positive dimmer" on it. The illumination wire on the Metra harness is solid orange. Based on the labelling, I would assume the Z1's orange white-striped wire should be connected to the Metra's solid orange wire, but I thought wires were supposed to match.

Yeah the illumination wire of the z1 goes to the orange wire on the metra harness. That's the only time the wire colors don't match.

Thank you again.

You're welcome. Anymore questions?

Wow, quick response. Good to know on all those answers.

But I just realized, I have the "moons and tunes" package with my Vibe, so I have an amp connected. I'm not sure what factory speakers are being powered by it. But it appears I'm going to need to get some RCA cables to run from Connector 1 to the amp? I haven't peaked at the back of the factory radio yet, so I'm not sure what's back there.

So the blue/white wire on the Metra harness, called "amp turn-on" will connect to the blue/white wire on Z1's Connector 1, called "system remote control." Will I need those RCA cables as well?

Yup, blue/white to blue/white. As for the "moons and tunes" I couldn't say since I've never seen a vibe with that option. If there is a factory amp in the car, there won't be rcas behind the radio. It'll still run through the same harness. Best bet is hook it up. If the volume gets really loud really quick, then you'll have to do some funny business with the harness and rcas on the avic. We'll save that though for later.

There is a factory amp, so I'm hoping I won't be messing with RCAs.

On another note, I bought the soldering kit and just soldered everything that I think needs soldering.

I took mental note of all that needs grounded:

- The black wire on the Metra harness

- The black wire on the Z1 harness

- The black wire from the XM unit

- The green parking brake wire from the Z1 harness

- The secret wire from Connector 2 (I took ducati's suggestion and pulled the cell phone mute out of connector 1 and successfully put into the empty slot on connector 2 in the picture)

Tomorrow morning I'll head into the car and see what I find.

Thanks again.