AVIC411.com

The appradio 2 firmware update to enable iphone 5 appmode is available now.  It does what it says, I guess.  Its lets you use the approved apps. But, it also gets rid of the ipod feature, and pretty much forces you to use "car media player". IMHO is not a very good alternative.  My biggest gripe is you cant skip to the next video, which sucks. As i thought, you can use the iphone cable that came with the appradio.  All you have to do is plug you lightning cable into the usb where you do the update. You still have to have the lightning to hdmi adapter.  But this does save you 60 bucks.  This is my first post, and I hope it helps save some of you some money. 

Oh and appradio extensions from cydia does not work.  To be expected though, I'm sure hes working on it.

Link to firmware update

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/UnAssigned-Content/Firmware%20Updates/AppRadio%202%20Firmware%20Update%20v8.30

So tonight, I decided to pay this some attention and attempt the update.  From the begging I ran a HDMI cable from the back into my middle console, just in case.  So I have the Lightning to HDMI AV cable + USB Lightning cable ready to go.  So I open the USB port up on the old 30 PIN and plug in what will soon become a parade of USB thumb drives.  

The update that came out last July wouldnt update either and Pioneer sent me the update.  Because it went on back order, my local Best Buy helped speed up the process and was able to update it with the USB thumb drive they found that works on their demo units.  So I saved the Pioneer thumb drive for such an occasion as this one.  I tried downloading, extracting the files, and moving to the thumb drive in both MAC OS and Windows 7.  I started with the YUK file both times.  I get cant read UP file when I plug it in.  

Pioneer wants me to take the unit out, pay them $60, and ship it to them for who knows how long they will have it.  Meanwhile, I will have a whole in my vehicle dashboard, no music, radio, etc... at all.  

I think I will be calling Best Buy to see if they have had any luck.  I didnt plan on visiting them until I got the cable from Pioneer and have them clean up the cable run clutter for me.  But maybe I am going to have to see if they can even get theirs updated.  If so, their update may work on mine.  

The way I see it if their's screws my unit up, I am no worse off than my other option to send it away to Pioneer.  At least BB will be there to unhook it all for me.  ;)

I hope everyone else is having better luck!

Chad

BTW - in all that I meant to say, I placed an order for the Pioneer HDMI + USB cable last week.  It wont ship until March 3rd according to my order status.  I saw others were just using a cheap HDMI cable, and then plugging their USB cable into an outlet in their vehicle for charging.  

I want the Pioneer cable because it will have an exposed USB port to make future firmware updates easier to apply.