AVIC411.com

Something random happened yesterday to my Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH, and I'm stumped...

I stopped at a gas station to fill up, and upon turning my car back on I received static for the FM channel I was listening to. I checked my other FM presets and they were all static as well. I checked AM and got all of them clear as day (it was even able to get HD signals), as well as Sirius/XM. 

Ran out and bought another Antenna adapter, but still had the same problem. Check the GMOS-LAN-03 adapter, and the wiring harnesses to make sure no wires came loose (which would be hard to do since I soldered everything from the GMOS to the aftermarket HU harness). 

I'm not sure if anyone else experienced this, or if anyone would have any tips. Contacted Pioneer and they said "Reset to factory defaults, and if that doesn't work the radio may need to be serviced".  Although that's great, I'd hate to take everything out of my HHR (if anyone has one, you know space is very limited behind the stereo and you have to be creative with putting everything back there). 

Only good thing about installing this HU is that I can take apart the waterfall/center of my HHR real quick since I've done it so much.

I think you'll be sending your unit back to Pioneer. If you're getting AM stations and audio, you've eliminated just about every external possibility.

It's pretty easy to get mine out of the Grand Prix...about five minutes, a little less if I use the cordless driver on the eight screws. And, like you, getting it back in is a bit tougher because of the wires and modules I've gotta shove back in.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll be sending your unit back to Pioneer. If you're getting AM stations and audio, you've eliminated just about every external possibility.

It's pretty easy to get mine out of the Grand Prix...about five minutes, a little less if I use the cordless driver on the eight screws. And, like you, getting it back in is a bit tougher because of the wires and modules I've gotta shove back in.

Contacted Pioneer again and they said when there's no FM frequencies or Traffic info then there's a grounding issue.  Checked the GMOS-LAN-03 adapter and noticed the ground cable came out of the adapter plug.  Received traffic info, but still static for all FM channels.  Kept the antenna adapter connected to the head unit, but disconnected it from my car's antenna cable and received a clear signal.  Not sure how that could work, but I feel I have to check my car's antenna cable to see what's going on...

Contacted Pioneer again and they said when there's no FM frequencies or Traffic info then there's a grounding issue.  Checked the GMOS-LAN-03 adapter and noticed the ground cable came out of the adapter plug.  Received traffic info, but still static for all FM channels.  Kept the antenna adapter connected to the head unit, but disconnected it from my car's antenna cable and received a clear signal.  Not sure how that could work, but I feel I have to check my car's antenna cable to see what's going on...

Well I feel kinda silly, and definitely made a rookie mistake. 

When I originally put the Z150 in my car, I thought the System Remote Control wire was for well, a remote control...so I left it alone.  Apparently I'm suppose to attach that wire to the blue wire on the 30 pin side of my GMOS-LAN-03 adapter to power the antenna amp....This would make sense how I can get AM and no FM.  

Now the only thing I'm worried about is the damage I may have done to my antenna's amp being that this wasn't connected.  It worked for about 2 weeks without this being connected.  Going to take it all apart again (hopefully for the last time), and solder the system remote control wire to the blue wire of the GMOS-LAN-03 and hope that fixes everything...

Another update - Connected the System Remote Control wire to the blue wire of the GMOS-LAN-03 and still can't get FM frequencies.  Being that I'm out of ideas I searched online to see what could be happening.  Could it be possible that I created a ground loop?  Could be possible since Pioneer said no FM or traffic means there's a grounding issue, and when I unplug a connection to the right of the passenger seat (that powers TPMS, alarm, and radio) I get FM clear as day. 

Might have to try experimenting with running the ground from the Z150 to another ground wire to see what happens.