AVIC411.com

Install in a sleeper VOLVO V8

Soooo I'm a gearhead that was in need of a family hauler...

e6_3.jpg

Wait? A wagon that looks like a tipped over refrigerator?? Well, it does have an LT1 with a 6 speed :twisted::twisted::twisted:

83_3.jpg

...but the radio is crap: (and yes the interior is being rehabbed)

radio.jpg

I don't think a double din will fit, there are relays behind the lower compartment. Plus I like the stealth mode of the retracted single din models (hopefully a slight theft deterrent). I will cover the lower compartment with the ABS plastic to help it all blend together.

OK that's a lot of lead-in. My biggest wants are:

• XM
    Navtraffic
    Bluetooth
    Aux-In, for generic MP3 player

So for the best bang for the buck, should I be looking for an N1? Is the XM content displayed any differently between the N1, N2 and N3? What else do I need to consider?

Thanks!

Did you get that struct bar off of ebay? Looks like the metal pipe ones they sell off of ebay for 10bucks. They dont work as well as the flat metal bar ones.

I dont know where you can still find an N1. You should probably spring for the N3 (newer maps) and do the bypass (requires solding and opening up the unit)

Did you get that struct bar off of ebay? Looks like the metal pipe ones they sell off of ebay for 10bucks. They dont work as well as the flat metal bar ones.

I actually bought the entire car off eBay, but the strut bar is an older design from IPD or Cherry Turbo, not sure.

I dont know where you can still find an N1. You should probably spring for the N3 (newer maps) and do the bypass (requires solding and opening up the unit)

I'm reading that the N3 has a better display for XM & Navtraffic... The budget may get blown out of the water...

Thanks!

Actually I ditched the "right" dash kit and made the ABS panel. The Metra kit bulges out to correct the angle of the Volvo dash:

f7_3.jpg

I know my plastic plate doesn't look that great, but it's not finished... and since I look at it every day you can bet it will come out and be sanded, painted, bodged, etc., until it blends in. I'm even thinking about taking the A/C trim panel out and slathering a little bondo, sanding, painting until the lower left corner has a closer gap to the dash section.

...and I do have replacement pieces to replace the cracked dash sections.