AVIC411.com

FLAME THE NOOB! (he has an ipod question on his D2)

I just purchased a D2 and I am getting ready to install it as soon as the rest of my equip gets here. I had a few questions and while I did search, I didn't get the exact info I needed. So, feel free to flame, say bad words, wish me dead, etc. So long as you answer my questions.

BTW I have a 2006 Ford F250 Diesel, if that matters.

STEERING WHEEL CONTROLER: I purchased this off of ebay. Does it really work, or did I flush my 50 down the toilet? I found this site after my purchase. Link to item: Ebay item 170084170665

Does anybody have nav traffic? I purchased the XM thingy so I can subscribe, but not sure if it works properly (I am in L.A.) Any feedback?

Ipod controller: I've read that the actual Ipod controller for the Pioneer is pure evil. I did a search on how to not use that controller and they keep saying use wires to bypass. But um.... which wires? Can anybody provide me with a link to what wires will allow me to control the Ipod (and play vids) and not thru the radio? Not concerned with charging the Ipod, because I have a car charger and I don't want to constantly charge the unit, only when it needs it.

Cheap rear view cam: Key word is cheap. No wide angle, no focus, no zoom, no Speilburg effects, just a friggin cam to tell me if I am going to run over something. Looks don't matter, just so long as it works so so.

Custom images: Is it posible with all of that hacking and modifying and rewriting? Isn't there a way to just pop in a CD and bam IMAGE! Maybe from the Ipod?

While I did search, while I did do some reading, because I am mentally retarded I did not completely understand what most of the threads were talking about. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am too lazy to search that ebay number, I assume you got the swi-pw if so ti works well. If you got the wireless one from pioneer it also works and works well if applied properly. Meaning, if you think your going to just slap it on and forget it, your wrong, You have to take some pride in the install. You have to pull and latch the straps for the wireless remote properly. You also have to make sure that the tabs holding the remote in place are positioned right so that the remote doesnt pop out when pressure is applied to it. Also, you should test the remote out before you ever mount it in, making sure it works in the location you are planning. Keep in mind that the remote is affected by direct sunlight and the line of sight matters, so dont put your sascwach legs in the way. Depending on the steering wheel it may not match.. (black remote on tan wheel) but really isnt that bad on a black steering wheel.

I had xm navi traffic but didnt see a real question about that so uhh.. yeah.

The ipod controller is the one that pioneer sells for the d2. You can open the unit up and cut the blue wire on the extension cable where it plugs into the unit on the inside. This allows for the IPOD to control the ipod, and not the avic unit. Then you can get the a;/v extension cables that plugs into the headphones at the top of your ipod video and plug the other end into the a/v input of the d2. This would give you ipod controls of playing music or videos through the a/v source, and also through the ipod ext. of the d2 source, but not play videos, only music there. An alternative is to install a switch onto the blue wire that you cut, so that you can arbitrarily flip the switch at your leisure to control either on the avic unit or the ipod itself, obviously depending on if you want to watch videos or control it and listen to music on the ipod source.

camera's hmm... not sure if I should but I have a few black and chrome license plate type cameras that are color and work fairly well with some people here having tried them.

the image thing you mention would be best to look in the hacking forum there is alot of info on this, you burn some cd's and or dvd+r dl with the map info and such. Ipod cant load the images sorry.

Most of this stuff is/was covered and doing that reading would have helped, I dont believe you did because of the last question about images, theres a whole section dedicated to that type of thing. but anyways, you have your answers now

Didn't realize the D3 just came out. Got a refund on the D2 and I am paying an extra duce for the D3!

Yes, Fat people need friends too. Just because I am well over 6' and well over 300 doesn't mean I don't need people. People.... people who need people..... are the luckiest people ..... EWWWWW! What a crappy song!