AVIC411.com

Help electrical problem

I accidently hooked up the power antenna lead to my vss wire on my 07 toyota corolla. Now it has a check engine light on and shifts funny at times. Did I blow the VSS? My Avic n3 doesn't read the speed pulse either.(since I corrected the wire) I hooked it up to the purple and white wire behind the glove box. Also What is the effect if I don't hook up the reverse sensor wire? Sorry to be such a moron.

The only time my CEL came on was when I shorted something in my MAF (mass air flow) sensor. Then it started to shift funny, and die out on me on low idle rpms.

As for not connecting your reverse wire, it is ok if you do not want a back up camera. If you have back up camera, and correctly connected the wire, your back up camera will display automatically on the screen once you shift your car into reverse.

just thinking the same thing. it sounds like you did something to the car's computer.

Adding 12 volts to the VSS doesn't sound too good.

I would also try to read the check engine code as well. I think autozone does this for free.

I went to autozone and got a free read out. It said "p500" vehicle speed sensor error. I ordered a new speed sensor from Toyota $241.00. I hope it's nothing else. If it's in the ECM, I'm screwed. I talked to an electric shop, they felt if it was in the ECM, I would have many more problems. I don't really understand how a VSS generates the electric pulse to the ECM, but the shop said it is normally rated at 5 volts. I hope I just fried the sensor by sending 13 volts the wrong way through it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was the combination meter (instrutment cluster). I fried a circuit in that. Dealer was pretty smart, he saw the vss wire had been tapped into, (even though splice had been removed) and refused to cover it under warrenty. It was a $640 lesson. Never had any issues installing before (crutchfield has excellent master sheets) but a simple mistake like grabbing the wire without the stripe, has taught me to break down and pay an installer anyway.