AVIC411.com

D3 installed (long, ADD types need not read)

I finished up my install a little while ago and am very pleased so far. This was my first Nav unit, heck even my first Pioneer head unit period. I've done plenty of decks, amps, speakers, subs, etc. so the install was no biggy. Even got the PAC steering wheel interface working with no sweat. F-350 is easy other than knowing to remove the grab bar before you try to yank the dash. VSS is right at the radio and there is actually plenty of space for all the friggin' wiring that you need to stuff in behind there. I'll be revisiting the wiring circus later on when I pick up the rear view cam and Ipod cable. I've also got an amp/sub project to tackle later on as well. Today I just wanted to get the Avic in and functioning.

The D3 is very intuitive. I rolled right through the various menus and settings without even touching the book. Very user friendly and I've never so much as touched any nav unit before. I haven't "navigated" anywhere yet but it had my location imediately and the vehicle dynamics were going in no time. POI categories seem pretty thorough and I could easily find "stuff" around me. Hell, it was pulling up stuff I wasn't even aware of. The hard keys and rotary volume are great. Glad I sent the D2 back and waited. Color options are sweet although it does not appear to let you customize the screen hues to anything other than the presets. Key colors can be customized by RGB values. Audio quality surpised me, but then again the factory Super Duty deck is a turd. The EQ, sound fields, 3 stage loudness and high/low pass filters are nice IMO. Video looked good although I only put a DVD in long enough to verify that it was capable of the feat.

I can't confirm the "green wire ground" bypass yet but that is what I did. I will try a movie or POI/vicinity search later when I go out. It did give me a warning screen about the P brake, but that cleared with a press of "OK".

I'm sure the seasoned users here will have way more to nit pick than a newbie like myself, but so far I'm pleased. I fear that once I master this thing I will probably live in my truck!

2006 Lariat crew cab Powerstroke. Plenty of bells and whistles, but a superbly crappy radio as delivered. Glad to see they added the option of navigation, rear dvd and "audiophile" w/subwoofer for 08'. Couldn't get squat in 06'. Of course, I'll replicate all of those features and spend less to boot!