AVIC411.com

Motor Trend article that covers CarPlay

I've been checking up on the Motor Trend long term tests of the Forester XT since I just bought one.  Also been waiting for CarPlay to come out after market head units to come out before deciding which one.

I was a bit perplexed when I saw this update that started out with this:

Pioneer recently offered to install an AVIC 5000-NEX head unit in our long-term Forester, specifically to test out its integration with Apple's new CarPlay technology. 

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/suvs/1408_2014_subaru_forester_20xt_update_2/

That link is broken. Try this one. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/suvs/1408_2014_subaru_forester_20xt_update_2/

It is nice to see carplay running on a different head unit than the 8000. 

Overall a glowing review. The reviewer found carplay easy to use, and intuitive. If only I could have it right now as well. I don't care if I won't have any apps for it yet. Those can come later. Carplay now would be phenomenal. 

I found it interesting that there were zero icons for third-party apps on the screen (with the exception of the Pioneer icon). This is clearly different from all the demo units that were shown off several months back. Could point to a lack of third-party app readiness. If that's the case, I'd rather they just say, "Screw 'em" and release it, but they'd probably see some unwanted backlash for overpromising and underdelivering.

I found it interesting that there were zero icons for third-party apps on the screen (with the exception of the Pioneer icon). This is clearly different from all the demo units that were shown off several months back. Could point to a lack of third-party app readiness. If that's the case, I'd rather they just say, "Screw 'em" and release it, but they'd probably see some unwanted backlash for overpromising and underdelivering.

If apple were to launch Carplay unfinished, It will never stop getting bad press about it. (See Apple maps). Considering how slow it takes automakers to implement changes, and how small the aftermarket audio market is, apple has little incentive to rush this launch when most users won't see carplay in action for years. Think about it. Most users won't see carplay until they but a new car that has it. How often do people buy new cars? Not anywhere near as quickly as iPhones.

If apple were to launch Carplay unfinished, It will never stop getting bad press about it. (See Apple maps). Considering how slow it takes automakers to implement changes, and how small the aftermarket audio market is, apple has little incentive to rush this launch when most users won't see carplay in action for years. Think about it. Most users won't see carplay until they but a new car that has it. How often do people buy new cars? Not anywhere near as quickly as iPhones.

It's not like CarPlay doesn't have any competition just around the corner. Google typically moves a bit faster than Apple, so I'd say they've got more than a little incentive to get it out there. It's not just about winning the battle in the automotive marketplace but the implications of winning it, which will have an enormous affect on the futures of their respective platforms (iOS and Android). The race is on, and Apple knows it.

It's not like CarPlay doesn't have any competition just around the corner. Google typically moves a bit faster than Apple, so I'd say they've got more than a little incentive to get it out there. It's not just about winning the battle in the automotive marketplace but the implications of winning it, which will have an enormous affect on the futures of their respective platforms (iOS and Android). The race is on, and Apple knows it.

Apple is rarely first with anything. They usually have the most well polished implementation of whatever they launch though, which is why they are such a popular brand.

Regardless neither carplay nor android auto will be in most cars for years. Audi for example has no plans for either to be in their cars till 2016 model year vehicles. The majority of consumers do not put aftermarket radios in their cars.

It took years for carmakers to implement any kind of iPod integration in their cars. It will take years for carplay and android auto to be in there as well.

Apple is rarely first with anything. They usually have the most well polished implementation of whatever they launch though, which is why they are such a popular brand.

Regardless neither carplay nor android auto will be in most cars for years. Audi for example has no plans for either to be in their cars till 2016 model year vehicles. The majority of consumers do not put aftermarket radios in their cars.

It took years for carmakers to implement any kind of iPod integration in their cars. It will take years for carplay and android auto to be in there as well.

The OEMs have made that prospect most difficult. Try putting a double DIN in a Cadillac CTS without doing major surgery. Many manufacturers are integrating their infotainment systems with the heating and air conditioning controls.

The OEMs have made that prospect most difficult. Try putting a double DIN in a Cadillac CTS without doing major surgery. Many manufacturers are integrating their infotainment systems with the heating and air conditioning controls.

And pissing off owners in the process because often times how they go about doing it is not only horrendously thought out, but on the slowest infotainment system in the world. I swear they run these things off of original pentium processors.

Problem with that thought is that Pioneer needs zero access to 3rd party apps for their integration. Apple needs to worry about that, but Pioneer doesn't. And since the apps are on the device, not the head unit, Apple's devices are carrying builds from their partners for testing and demo purposes.

So why would Apple be handing over pre-release builds of someone else's software to Pioneer and/or Motor Trend?