AVIC411.com

8000Nex issue after install

Hi all - I just got a 8000NEX to replace my Z150BH. I ordered it from Crutchfield, wanting to keep the manufacturer's warranty intact. They had a deal running for a scratch/dent for almost $200 off that I was a little intrigued by. I talked to an advisor there, and they said they couldn't say exactly why it was scratch and dent, but there would be nothing that impacted the screen or the usability of the unit. I went for it.

I spent some time last night getting the harness all setup with the Maestro RR. I pulled the z150bh and associated harness out earlier today and got the 8000 in. It fired up and showed me a pioneer splash screen, but there was some wavy distortion on the right side of the screen. After about 5 seconds it went to what looked like it should be the initial setup screen, but no buttons responded, the distortion was still there (though throughout most of the picture now) and there were a couple strange characters at the bottom left of the screen. 

I called Crutchfield, they suggested resetting it via the little button on the bottom right of the face. I did, and it reset, but did the same thing. 

They are sending a new unit out (ships Monday, should be there Thursday, so now I have a large hole in the dash.

Has anyone ever seen one of the NEX units do this? Does it sound like maybe there was just something wrong with the unit that they didn't catch, or maybe it was dropped in shipping? I'm trying to figure out if there was anything I could have done wrong that would cause this - I can't think of what - but just curious.

Thanks!

Sounds like its been dropped to me. Wavy screen and no response from the unit?

Did you hit the reset button before you tried to get into the setup screens?

It did have that look to it alright, that was the first thing I thought. It wasn't dropped on my watch, so it either had to be something in shipping or before it left. My experience with Crutchfield has always been top notch, so it seems odd they would let something out that wasn't functional. Still, things happen.

Yeah it was wavy/had lines throughout, and the right side looked like a bunch of colors bleeding together. 

I hit the reset button prior to any setup screens. I didn't really have any option to get to any screens actually. The physical buttons lit up, but didn't respond to presses. I could touch the screen in different places and get a beep occasionally, but nothing happened. 

I would contact cruthfield first thing Monday morning and get it sorted. The adviser you purchase from on crutchfield is associated with the order # so if you have any issue you can look at your order and at least mention the adviser by name then mention what he told you about none of the functions being impeded. 

I called them today actually and got an advisor (not the one I spoke to originally) but they were cool about it. They walked me through a couple of steps to troubleshoot, but nothing changed. They have another one shipping out Monday. I didn't think to ask on the phone if that was another scratch and dent, or if it is a new one that's a replacement. I didn't see anymore scratch and dents available on the site, so I guess we'll see!

Main thing I was concerned about was having done something to mess it up myself in the wiring, etc. I've done stereo installs before, but not quite as extensive.  I didn't really think I had - it's pretty much just following directions, but I was surprised for sure when I got that result.

was it another dent and scratch or brand new? glad to hea you got it up and running!

I actually wondered after they said they were sending a replacement what I would get - it didn't show that there were any more s&d units available on their site. I'm pretty sure the replacement was a new unit. The original s&d had cruthfield tape sealing the box and some of the accessories inside. This one appeared to be completely factory packaging. 

So, it was a bit of a delay and irritation but it all ended up working out very well, and Crutchfield was great about it.

Side note, the 8000nex is a pretty awesome unit. Definitely an upgrade from the z150bh I had before.