AVIC411.com

Pioneer new unit with Carplay - Another Joke

[bREAKING] UK Retailer Halfords Lists New Pioneer CarPlay Device DA120 For Sale
AppRadioWorld by AppRadioWorld  /  1d  //  keep unread  //  hide  //  preview
ab-save.pngab-clipper.pngab-tag.v2.png
ab-mail.pngab-twitter.pngab-facebook.v2.pngab-overflow.png

126684.jpg
We got an email from one of our readers a few moments ago directing us to a link on UK retailer Halfords website that shows a listing for what looks like an upcoming Pioneer Electronics head unit that supports Apple CarPlay.

There are few hints on Pioneer Europe's website about this head unit but Halfords claims the device is a store exclusive at this point.

Here are some more details and pictures about the sleek looking Pioneer DA120...

According to the Halfords listing...

PIONEER DA120 WITH APPLE CARPLAY - EXCLUSIVE TO HALFORDS

Get ready for the best experience with the Pioneer DA120 with Apple CarPlay® . This product isexclusive to Halfords only, being the newest way to use your iPhone in your vehicle. With Pioneer and Apple CarPlay®, you have access to your iPhone's best features in the car you already own.

This new technology allows you to get directions, calls, listen to your iTunes library and use Apple CarPlay® compatible apps. Pioneer enhances your Apple CarPlay® journey with a fully customisable listening experience using the built-in equaliser, subwoofer controls and more. Siri® uses the included external microphone and your car's speakers for a powerfully integrated experience. Just plug in your iPhone® and Apple CarPlay® automatically launches.

PIONEER DA120 WITH APPLE CARPLAY EXTRA INFO

• Suitable for Apple iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c or iPhone 5 with iOS 7.1 software
  • The menu flips for left/right hand drivers
  • Voice recognition for Android
  • Lightning to USB cable required
  • Fast and responsive control with the advanced touch panel LCD 7-inch screen
  • Siri Eyes Free feature providing access to many iPhone functions such as listening to and composing text messages, maps, calendar information and reminders
  • Bluetooth easily allows for hands-free phone calls, contact synchronisation, music streaming and wireless control of compatible devices
  • Use MirrorLink to connect to an even wider range of devices such as Nokia Symbian Phones and selected Samsung Galaxy phones
  • Compatible for reversing cameras suitable for parking
  • 12 month warranty and UK support
Currently there is a link that is supposed to allow interested customers to register for alerts on when the device will be available for purchase. The link, however, doesn't seem to be working.

The Pioneer DA120 will retail at Â£349.99 which is lower that Pioneer's NEX receivers but the interface looks similar. Looks like the device will be able to support navigation, Siri Eyes Free, Bluetooth functionality and others.

Is this a new device? From the pictures it looks like it. But compatibility information doesn't include Apple's new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, nor does it include iOS 8. The pictures show the device doing AppRadio Mode. The description also mentions that Android devices can also connect to it using MirrorLink.

Pioneer has failed to deliver CarPlay for its NEX receivers so far. Could this upcoming CarPlay head unit be the reason? There is no official word from Pioneer about a double-DIN head unit like the DA120 but googling "Pioneer DA120" brings up a few links on Pioneer Europe's website.

Check out these additional pictures...

126684a.jpg

126684b.jpg

126684c.jpg

Stay tuned for more on this as we will continue to look for information as it surfaces.

Thanks to Michael Penney for the email.

Source: Halfords

Visit Website

I find it funny that both Halfords and Appradioworld deleted any mention of this mysterious unit. I don't care either way. I am never buying another Pioneer product ever again. My second car is getting whatever alpine is going to launch. As far as the 4000 I already own, I'm gonna give Pioneer until Alpine launches their unit to get the NEX running carplay, but if they lose to alpine's launch of a new radio with a launch of a mere software update, I'm going to sell my NEX and buy two alpines instead of one.