AVIC411.com

WTF? Bad directions from D3?

I live in Southern California, I know where Disneyland is. I am still not over the high of having navigation, I use it if I go to 7-11 to get a Coke.

I put in Disneyland, and it is sending me 21 miles out of the way. I thought "Ah, the NavTraffic is saving me time, yep." Then I checked and there was no traffic. I hit fastest route, shortest route and they both came up with the same identical LONG WAY around.

For anybody living in SoCal: If you live in the IE and want to visit the Rat, you'd take the 10 or 60 to the 57 South and exit Katella or Ball and badabing you see the rat.

The D3 does recognize the 57 freeway, and even when I was on it, it was telling me to take the 60 east, then the 91 east, then finally surrendered when I exited Katella off of the 57. The entire trip, it kept trying to tell me to go the long way around. Make a u turn, get off here, go here no wait, back, take this exit, it was more annoying then my wife.

Then when we finally get to the Rat, my wife says "Well that was a thousand dollars well spent.". Same thing on the way home. I actually got on the 57 freeway headed North, then hit "Go home" and it still wanted me to take the first exit, and take the 5 north.

Even when it plans out your route, it shows you a dark wide red route on a large map. You can see the 57 cut straight south to your destination while the I5 goes our and around like a curve ball.

Strange.

If you're lost, do you really know if you're going the shortest route? Personally, I don't use navigation if I know where I'm going and if I'm lost and it gets me to my destination, then it did its job and I am none the wiser. There are idiots out there who follow EVERYTHING a navigation tells them, even if it means turning the wrong way down a one-way street. I guess they forget that sometimes it is ok to use your own brain. Navigation systems are never perfect, especially in areas w/ tons of roads, etc.

as a pizza delivery driver, I use D3 at least 15 times a day.

again, NOTHING IS PERFECT, this is PERFECTLY normal sometimes the calculated route isn't the one you desired, especially you're using it when you have ur OWN ROUTE in ur brain. But most of the time, it does the job and brings u there.

I've had at least 15 nav systems between OEM sytems in cars, and portable units......not one of them is perfect. I can very often find a faster way than the unit suggests.....as another poster implied, they're not toys, and they're not supposed to replace your brain. They have bailed me out of a few scary situations, and I wouldn't have a car without one.

With all that said, the most consistantly accurate has been Garmin....and they make mistakes too....but less than others. The worst for me has been TomTom.