AVIC411.com

OK. NEED the info of the personal installers!!

SO. as i have stated before. i have been looking for installers in the baltimore md area.

i went to auto sound innovations and they gave me a quote of 275. which is great. but that does not include the backup camera that i have. they said that to drill a hole and put that in. it would cost 150. so i'm looking at over 400 bucks.

then i went over to sound solutions and he told me that the camera would cost 60. and that it was easy to put in. but because i drive a 99 explorer "it's not technically suppose to support a true double din. so that he would need a full days work on it to customize everything. so he told me that it would cost me no more than 450. so..again..im looking at a 400$ install.

now i know a lot of you guys would just suggest doing it myself which i would. a buddy of mine is actually really interested in putting it in with me because he is all about DIY. the thing im worried about is that i know nothing about putting in a unit. i can understand if i have a true double din fit and just read the instructions and all that, but i own a 1.5 din. i need to cut the back out somewhere, i duno where. i need to drill a hole in my trunk somewhere, but i have nothing to fill it with after i put in my camera. i would hate to do it myself half way and realize i fucked it up and bring it to an installer and him saying the "I told you so speech."

a question for all the installers here. would you guys do this if a customer came into the shop and asked you to do all the trimming? how much would you charge if the customer did not ask you to put it in, but only cut out the back to make it a double din. and a hole for the backup cam. because that is the only problem i have with putting it in.

how easy is the install for a car that needs custom work done?

all comments and suggestions are welcome. i appreciate all the help. btw..im putting in the avox unit too, but im not worried about putting that in. i think that's the easiest part.

If I were a pro installer, then I think I'd be somewhat reluctant to create a double-din opening without having the unit there to guide me and test fit. But at that point the cost is probably such that you're not saving a whole lot over just going all the way.

But I'm not a pro installer, so don't take my word as gospel on this subject.

well how much should i be expecting for an install..i mean..if it does infact cost that much..than..there is not much else i can do, but if it doesn't..that's why i'm so stressed as to whether i should dish out that much money.

well how much should i be expecting for an install..i mean..if it does infact cost that much..than..there is not much else i can do, but if it doesn't..that's why i'm so stressed as to whether i should dish out that much money.

No offense, but if you're not comfortable drilling a hole, then you are probably better off dropping it off at a shop and letting them put it in.

well even if i bring in the unit, what are the chances that they will still just cut it for me and not fully put it in.

probably not gonna happen. even if i did pay for the labor of that.

At that point "fully putting it in" just means splicing some wires. I don't think you'd save enough money to make it worth it. Might as well go all the way.

you can fit a double din in it, as for trimming the your probally better off bringing it to a shop, my suggestion would be to try a circuit city or best buy, make sure they are comfortable doing that before you pay, some shops have good installers others not so much, and each shop can charge a litle different but i wouldn't charge you 400 if you want to bring it to ny