AVIC411.com

Adding RAM to D3?

I recently purchased a D3, and I am curious if anyone here has been brave enough to open up their D3 to see how the RAM is installed, and if it is in standard memory slots. If that is the case, has anyone tried adding more RAM? If someone has, has it worked or is the D3 programmed for 64MB?

I might try to check the FCC website to see if they have disassembled images. In the mean time, anyone have any thoughts?

so, you really think they will be socket mounted like in your pc? have you ever looked at any piece of electronics outside of your pc?

i will bet you $100 on the spot that it is surface mount simms. enjoy removing those and adding more ram. which you can't use.

I recently purchased a D3, and I am curious if anyone here has been brave enough to open up their D3 to see how the RAM is installed, and if it is in standard memory slots. If that is the case, has anyone tried adding more RAM? If someone has, has it worked or is the D3 programmed for 64MB?

I might try to check the FCC website to see if they have disassembled images. In the mean time, anyone have any thoughts?

Umm... considering the size of the D3. I seriously doubt they take the same type of ram as desktop or laptops.

Also, RAM is hardware. You dont program it with 64MB. If that was possible, Id program my comp to have a billion GBs of RAM.

The RAM stores the navigation route from the disc, since there is only one slot on the D3.

Many BIOS's have a restriction on the maximum amount of RAM that they recognize, hence my asking if there is a RAM limitation. Also, the navigation software very easily could simply be coded to store x MB of map data into memory instead of just filling up the memory.

So, has anybody opened up a D3 yet for any reason?

actually i think its rom that holds the navigation information since i don't think its lost when you turn it off, but yes a bios may limit the amount of ram they reconize, but thats not the issue and its not that it just has one slot, it has 0 slots, it is built onto the board.

The D3 has only one disc slot, that's to what I was refering.

Also, the D3 is wired to both 12V and ACC, so it's getting power all the time. There's no need for it to store in ROM, although it may store (and hopefully does store) some settings in ROM, such as EQ settings, presets, background images.

The map data is read off of the DVD disc and stored in the system's RAM, though.

Wow.... all those answers and more than half were idiotic or no help whatsoever and the cause of useless data stored in some poor smuck's server. anyways. I agree that the 64MB of ram that is in the D3 is embedded and that there i no slot available for upgrades. I would love to be wrong on this however.

I saw on some other post and idea that has great potential but it will required people with great technical knowledge involved. Storing an ISO of the NAV disc on an IPOD and dump the firmware and code it so it will have an "IF" statement when it mounts devices. This will find the IPOD and load the data as it it were reading a HDD or and optical. This would be awesome. will it happen? if the need arises, i think we will see something like that or very close

Hope this helps.

so JasonH is a smuck? his server.

Doesnt uses posting of something useless in it of its self counter productive? I mean really, why upgrade the ram, I dont see any usefulness for it.

Jason corrent me if i am wrong. But is think this forum is hosted somewhere else. Technically that would not be his server.

He is looking into Eliminating as much as he can, discs swaps.