AVIC411.com

N1 - Unable to flash GPS Program, "NG" Error

Hey everyone, brand new to this site and the forums...

I was updating my N1 to the 60-series software and somehow it failed... so following the excellent instructions I found on here, I went in to flash the memory back to the 40-series software.

Flashing the System and Application worked fine... no issues there.

However, the program version for "GPS Program" says "NG". I can go in to try and update it to the version on the DVD (4.00) but when I select POS to flash it, it beeps once and doesn't update anything.

Any help on this would be appreciated because right now the unit is non-functional except for the service menu... I tried re-updating to 60 and that didn't work. Help!

Do you think if I mailed it back to Pionner they would repair it? (For a fee of course)

I guess if nothing else, this should be a warning to others. I didn't download the torrent, I won the 60-series disc off eBay. I was expecting a real copy, and even emailed the seller to ask if they were real or not. He replied that they were indeed "pressed discs". However I received burned copies.

pstoodvdr was the guy's handle on ebay. Stay away.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this issue!

Sent my unit to Pioneer for repair, and just got it back today. Haven't installed it yet, but the good news is that there is that Pioneer did not charge me for the fix. Apparently they were able to reflash the firmware some other way.

I sent them a note explaining exactly what happened, and sent them my 40MT disc with it. I said that I didn't care what version of the software was on my unit, as long as it worked. They sent back a note stating that they had reflashed the unit. They flashed the 60MT software to make sure it would work if I chose to upgrade later, and then reflashed with the 40MT.

So in short... working unit, and my wallet is still full. Very impressed and grateful for Pioneer's customer service.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on this and a quick word of advice for others who have to send their unit in for repairs.

I sent my brain back to Pioneer and got a phone call about the $200 charge to fix it. As expected, with one little twist.

The Pioneer rep I spoke to (her name was June) said that had I mailed back both the head unit AND the brain to Pioneer the first time I needed it fixed, that there would have been no charge for the brain this time. So if you need to send your stuff back, make sure you send both.