AVIC411.com

Power/Ground Install Questions

I have installed about 4-5 after market radios, but all of them were just straight radio replacements... Harness to harness and it was done...

My new D3 is the fist where I have multiple components: Bluetooth, Camera, Steering Wheel Interface, CD-Changer, etc...

Question:

1) What is the best way to ground all this, bundle all together and solder and attach to ground in harness??? Or, is there a better practice???

2) For all the component's power requirements (CD-Changer, Camera, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Interface), is it okay to tap off of the harness's power??? Or, should I run a dedicated fused line from the vehicle's battery for the extra components???

I was laying out all the various harnesses and whatnot over the weekend and there are a lot of wires to connect... :shock:

Also, I think I am going to try and solder all my connections and cover with heat shrink...

All my other radios I put together with what I believe are called crimp-on butt-connectors...

Thanks for all the advice as always,

Mark

recommend running a common ground for that equipment

to a near by frame or other such location. I ve never had a problem

running a few small components(head unit+sat+ipodetc...)off

of the 12v+in the factory harnes---but if i am running more than

just a few or its a top end install-I will rrun a seperate fused

12ga. from the battery.

g/l

I know all the wiring gets overwhelming--i usaully will

build a harness on the work bench --as far as i can go

then put it in the vehicle

Thanks brianas,

Yeah, I am laying out all the wiring on my kitchen table and making all the capable connection there...

I originally used crimp connectors for everything... I am going to redo it and solder everything...

Rather redo it on my kitchen table than a couple months down the road and have to yank everything... Or, try and trouble shoot from my dashboard...

Sounds like I should be fine running everything through the radio harness...

Thanks again for the info,

Mark