AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z2 - Are VSS/Reverse Really Necessary?

OK, I installed an AVIC-Z2 (among other components/amps/subs) in a friend's Ford Excursion over the weekend. Figured out I would need a double-DIN mounting kit and owner wanted a remote, so I called Pioneer parts. They confirmed that the CD-R5 remote and ADT-VA311 kit, though specified only for the Z1, would work fine for the Z2. The get delivered this Friday and I'll know that night if they're right. That's when I plan to complete the install by hooking up the GPS-required connections.

Anyhow, great unit, but here's my question..........................

When ordering from Pioneer, I asked to speak to a tech about locating the VSS wire and reverse wire and, get this, he told me that I didn't even need to use them with the Z2. He told me that the GPS antenna was all that was needed, along with the e-brake connection. That's it..........................

Now, I'm not the expert, I expect that tech was, but was he full of sh*t? The installation instructions are pretty clear about hooking up the VSS/e-brake/reverse in order for the NAV to operate properly. BUT, if he's right, it would sure save me some time (and concern) locating the right VSS/reverse connections.

Thanks, in advance, for your time.

--Ryan

this has been covered, no you dont have to hook those wires up, you will loose a few vehicle dynamics functions but not needed. The navi will be off about 3 feet as well. The reverse wire is for a backup camera. The tech was right, you can listen to them.

this has been covered, no you dont have to hook those wires up, you will loose a few vehicle dynamics functions but not needed. The navi will be off about 3 feet as well. The reverse wire is for a backup camera. The tech was right, you can listen to them.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I had tried several searches, but didn't find the answer.

MODERATOR: Feel free to lock or delete this thread.

Thanks, again.

--Ryan

The reverse wire is practically useless (especially since you do not have a back up camera), but the VSS is useful in a couple scenarios:

when you do not have GPS signal, it can still track your movement

when you come to a stop, the arrow stops immediately, as opposed to trailing for a while then readjusting itself

You need the VSS to get 3D hybrid

• 2 weeks later...