AVIC411.com

Which install kit for Excursion?

I have an '02 Ford Excursion and I bought an AVIC D3. The dash has a hole that is almost double DIN but not quite.

I've heard that the D3 can fit with some minor trimming.

Can I use a standard double DIN mounting kit?

Who's kit shold I use? I've seen one by Scoche and then an Excursion specific double DIN kit by Best Kits(?) or something like that. It looked like it was designed for 2 single DIN radios though.

Thanks guys.

Awesome site. Lots to research and learn here.

And about 2.5 hours of cutting and test fitting. Just got done with one today. The only white part on my face was the area covered by my saftey glasses. That was a lot of fun too. Not an install I'd recommend for someone that isn't handy with a dremel.

Mmmmmm...

I need more patience.

Misfit-

I kept searching and found http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4600&highlight=excursion+kit

so I ordered the SCOSCHE FD1330B Double DIN Kit.

Is this an alright kit or should I cancel and get the Metra kit mentioned above?

cntrylvr79-

What was the problem with the install? All of the other commments I've seen re this install mention light trimming. I'm fine with a Dremel.

Thanks for the help...

Damn.

I hope it's not that way for my model. Don't want to have to patch the duct work.

If I have to patch it, should I use glass or is duct tape actually an acceptable method of repair? I have some of the metal backed tape that HVAC guys use in attics, etc.

You will need to trim around 1/8" inch from the top and bottom of the radio surround on the dash, I used a metra kit I got from Circuit City. Everything fits fine, no other trimming is required other than the dash. Pretty easy if your patient and measure/test fit twice and install once.

Thanks for chiming in, all of you. Been a lot of help.

One last thing, I've heard that once you trim the dash, you're pretty much committed to leaving the AVIC in the hole you created.

An 1/8" isn't much really, anybody ever stop to see what the stock radio would look like in there afterwards?

Maybe a trim ring would allow you to set the stock unit back in place for resale?

Just run a layer of duct tape around the stock radio and shove it back in. As long as you can't see it, you'll be find. Yes I have done that in the past AT CUSTOMER'S REQUEST ONLY though. It makes sense though, if you're dumping the vehicle why do you care how the stock radio is mounted, that's the next owner's problem.