AVIC411.com

D3 Bypass with onstar? Help...

Hello All

This is my first post here! GREAT SITE!!!! I have been installinig car audio for myself and friends for about 15 years.

I have a 07 Trailblazer SS thats I'm getting ready to install my D3 in! I have 2 questions that I did a search on but could not find anything!

1) With the bypass mod and the mute Pin/wire moved and grounded. Will my onstar/phone still mute the system without a mute wire hooked up? Or do I need to find a new pin/wire to replace the old mute wire I used to do the bypass?

In outer words have the mute wire (from the D3) hooked into the mute port on the Data bus Interface and then the bypass done all by its self?

Or will it mute without hooking up the Data bus mute wire??

2) The D3 comes with one wires for illumination but GM provides 2 wires one is Illumination and the other is Dimmer. What wire should I use for the D3 Illumination??

Sorry to ask noob questions but just could not find this anywhere.

Thanks

Ross

How about waiting a little more than a couple hours next time. To answer your question, it depends on the interface you use whether you'll need the mute wire or not. Check the instructions that come with it.

2. You should be able to answer yourself, installing for that long. Here's a hint it's the illumination wire.

Someone else here mentioned the need to still be able to use the mute in a Lincoln.

He added another wire with pin to the original mute wire slot and connected there (in addition to the mute wire grounded in the new location).

According to him, the bypass still worked.

Someone else here mentioned the need to still be able to use the mute in a Lincoln.

He added another wire with pin to the original mute wire slot and connected there (in addition to the mute wire grounded in the new location).

THANK YOU SO MUCH Necro!!!! Just what I needed to know!

How about waiting a little more than a couple hours next time. To answer your question, it depends on the interface you use whether you'll need the mute wire or not. Check the instructions that come with it.

2. You should be able to answer yourself, installing for that long. Here's a hint it's the illumination wire.

WOW!~ YOU ARE A PEACH! :shock:

You do math like you give advice! Not very well! :(

I think 6 hours is ok to bump a question on a fast moving forum like this! When you’re trying to do an install that night!

Sorry to bug you Mr.! Maybe just leave it be if you have negative stuff to say :roll: Boy, you make this a fun place to hang out! :(

Yep, that was me... :)

I originally moved the mute wire to perform the bypass and later realized I still needed to be able to mute the radio from the car itself...

So, I went to a local electronic store and purchased a $0.50 harness that looked as close as possible to the D3's white harness...

The trick is to find a new harness that is tiny like the D3's white harness... The harness (and the pins inside of it) are a lot smaller than you think...

Took the new harness home, removed one of its pin wires and then plugged it into the original mute slot of the D3's harness...

So, I now have a fully bypassed D3 and my vehicle now also mutes the D3 when I am about ready to back into something (reverse sensors)...

Good luck,

Mark

Yep, that was me... :)

I originally moved the mute wire to perform the bypass and later realized I still needed to be able to mute the radio from the car itself...

So, I went to a local electronic store and purchased a $0.50 harness that looked as close as possible to the D3's white harness...

The trick is to find a new harness that is tiny like the D3's white harness... The harness (and the pins inside of it) are a lot smaller than you think...

Took the new harness home, removed one of its pin wires and then plugged it into the original mute slot of the D3's harness...

So, I now have a fully bypassed D3 and my vehicle now also mutes the D3 when I am about ready to back into something (reverse sensors)...

Good luck,

Mark

Thanks Mark

Mute got me to thinking, when I saw that we move the Mute pin to bypass! How will onstar mute the system? Great info!

Thanks again!

btw the illuminaton wire should be 12v when the lights are on and stay that way. the dimmer usually has 12v when the lights are on but its connected to the dimmer knob(pot) and will go from 12v-->ground with the dimmer control. you simply want the unit to see the lights come on to tell the radio to dim the screen.

just use the gm os-04 unit from metra. I used it on an 06 ss two days ago, no issues had

Did you use a steering wheel interface too???? What wire did you hook to? Did you have to go to a plug under the steering wheel or is it in the main wire harness for the stock radio?

Thanks

Ross