AVIC411.com

2006 Toyota Tundra XSP Double Cab speed sensor wire?

Speed Sense green/orange ECM, 2nd plug from right, pin 8

Notes: The ECM (Engine Control Module) is behind the glove box.

Hmm just like every other toyota truck I've looked up...

Reverse Light red/black + driver kick, gray 8 pin plug, pin 2

Just finished the installation in my '06 Doublecab (replacing a non-JBL CD only unit).

Installation was mostly a piece of cake.

First a note about the VSS and reverse wires: The colors listed are correct, however they will also have silver "ticks" on them. Just ignore those.

I also found it was easier (for me) to tap into the wire behind the instrument cluster rather than at the ECU. The ECU was much more difficult to get at, with less exposed wire(if I was looking at the right one - behind the glove box).

Pulling the instrument cluster is easy. Two screws on the top of the black bezel, then tip the top forward and work it out from around the steering wheel (it will squish down enough to get it out). Next is 4 screws to remove the gauge cluster. Remove the two plugs from the cluster and set it aside.

VSS and reverse signals are both on the right side plug (sorry I don't remember the pin locations).

About 3" from the plug is a nicely exposed bit of wiring where you can easily get your t-taps/in line splice connectors attached.

Assemble in reverse. You will have to tug at some of the plastic around the ignition switch to get the cluster bezel back under it.

Other installation notes:

1) Brackets.

I had to trim the Metra kit to fit the Tundra mounting brackets (no biggie). I also notched a few of the holes on the Tundra brackets (bracket to truck chassis) so I could center the unit better.

Only 3 of the screw holes lined up between the Tundra bracket and the Avic-D3. I didn't bother making the 4th hole bigger, 3 screws on each side seemed sufficient.

2) GPS Antenna.

I ran it along the FM antenna to the passenger side kick panel. From there I put a very small slice in the wiring boot that goes to the passenger door. I ran up the inside of the door frame. I tucked the cable inside the door frame seal starting at the engine bay and ran it up to the roof above the passenger door. In all about 2" of cable are showing.

Note: I think running the GPS antenna right next to (touching) the FM antenna wire might be hurting FM reception a little.

3) iPod connector.

I ran this along the center console into the storage bin. I took apart the storage bin and cut it apart a little to the connector could live inside the bin. The wire is long enough that you can easily take the iPod out and fiddle with it (and still close the bin). I don't do video, so it's mostly out of sight, out of mind for me.

Next up will be the backup camera. The possible mounting locations on the Tundra pretty much suck. I've pretty much decided to use the license plate as the mount (drill a few holes in the plate and rigidly mount the camera to the plate. It's not ideal, but it seems to be one of the best locations.

Mounting it in the liftgate handle would give a better downward angle if you are worried about running over kids, etc. It would also prevent you from ever removing the tailgate unless you un-wire the camera.

Scott