AVIC411.com

Sub Phase Options - Normal vs Reverse

Hi all,

I have a couple questions regarding the setup of the subwoofer...

Primarily, what exactly does the "phase" normal and reverse do to the sub???

I have a factory 8" sub and it works fine with the D3...

However, when I originally installed everything I had subwoofer set to "normal"...

The sub sounded overly loud and boomy and the sound stage of the whole vehicle seemed shifted to the rear of the vehicle... :(

I corrected all this by adjusting all the levels and positioning and everything but it seemed like everything had to be adjusted to the extreme to sound correct...

Anyway, the other night I reset all the sound options back to factory...

This time I put the subwoofer's phase in "reverse" mode...

Now, the sub seems more level with the other music, it is much more crisp and less boomy and the sound stage has miraculously moved back to the front of the vehicle... :D

I now have to barely adjust the sound settings to get optimal sound...

Can anyone tell me what exactly the phase does to the subwoofer and how that affects the sound coming from the other speakers???

I can't image just reversing the phase can have such a huge affect on all the sound, but apparently it does...

Can anyone explain how this all works together???

Thanks,

Mark

The phase does just that, it is like switching the + and - going to the woofer, if you have all your speakers IN phase with each other (what you normally want to do) then they are all pushing the air the same way at the same time, if you reverse this like you did on the woofer, then the woofer will be pushing the air at the opposite time that the other speakers are.

Okay, that makes sense...

So, I guess if all the air is moving either correctly or not, then you would get major altercations to the quality and perception of the sound...

So, another question, why does it seem this phase option is only available on sub amps and sub pre-outs???

Is this more of an issue with the nature of subwoofers as compared to other mid/high speakers???

Thanks for all the info,

Mark