AVIC411.com

D2 - Navigation Orientation

Hey can anyone clear something up for me? On the nav map, the red arrow representing my vehicle never points the direction i am driving. It accurately shows me in the right place on the highway, but never faces the right direction no matter which way I orient the map display. (example: driving North on highway that runs North, arrow faces East-Southeast) Is this arrow just a "You are here" indicator? (i'm pretty sure its not or it would be a big ol' "X")

I have also had trouble with getting direction/gudiance. Though I know I am going the right way, it constatntly tells me to make u-turns and go back. very strange.. My little portable Nav box has been much more successful out the box than my AVIC... :( Is there a way to set this arrow correctly. I think it will solve my problems!

This is such a great advice forum, I completely used it to fix glaring issues that the installers missed. Thanks guys!!

That button only reorients the map to North up or route oriented. BUT I figured it out .. i needed to turn the Arrow OFF in the Map display menu... works perfectly now!

that jsut gets rid of the arrow....

If you want to correct the orientation of the arrow, which is the orientation of your car, there is a menu item, I beleive under settings, thats like "adjust vehicle position" or something like that.. it allows you to correct both the position and orientation of your present location on the map.. I believe its like a global offset to correct any calibration offsets that may exist...

So at first you will get a positional icon, very similar to the one used when you drag off your present location on the map. When youa re don with the positioning, you will get two round arrows on either side of your position arrow.. thisis to adjust rotation.. do that and now you are properly calibrated for you position and orientation!!!

I adjusted the setting so that the map displayed slightly preceeds my posiiton, this way I line up with intersection pretty well...

Man how kewl would it be if someday these things get so accurate, that we are able to drive by instruments only!!!! like Pilots!!! Great for foggy locations!!! ;P

• 2 years later...

Thanx!! I had the same problem with my n4 after my car sat in my sloped driveway for the winter. I went on a 2500 mile trip relying on my avic n4. In the beginning it was fine but halfway through the trip it started to act up. Arrow would be sloped to the side so while on the high way the nav would think I was going local, or taking an exit. Sometimes the arrow would point in the exact opposite direction! I reset the factory options (still keeps home and previous destinations), and the went to 3d calibration and reset it (so it can learn again). Then I went to change current position (like you said) and set the position. I set my position a little forward like you said as well. I hate missing turns and I would rather have the system tell me about the turns earlier than being precise and have me miss a turn and having to double back.

• 4 months later...

Guys I have this problem aswell! The arrow is never pointing the right direction! I know how to set it right like you all do. But everytime I turn off the car it wont save the setting. So I need to adjust this every time I need to use the navigation! Can somebody please help me this is very annoying. How can I make it remember which way it is suposed to be always!

• 4 weeks later...