AVIC411.com

I talked a good friend of mine into purchasing an AVIC-D3.It was installed by an authorised dealer (no short cuts). Now it gives the wrong directions . He has it set up properly and it gives him the most round about routes possible. Anybody have this same problem? Thanks

The TeleAtlas mapset included with Pioneer are absolute trash (in my area anyway) and many of the roads, although seen on the display, are not routable. The Navteq maps included with my Garmin are many times superiour (once again, in my area).

I am in London, Ontario, Canada and only the major streets in the latest map updates are routable, therefore, the Avic will not set up a route on anything less a major road, except when it has to jump to the actual address I am looking for, in which case, it says it can not provide navigation in this area.

Even with major roads, there are portions of roads it will not route on whatsoever, even if I set up waypoints along the way. The only way it will route on these roads is if I have a route I am following and I turn off onto one of these road segments and the Avic reroutes.

I do not know how the TeleAtlas maps work in Tornto, Ottawa, Vancouver or in the USA, but they are very disappointing in Southern Ontario.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree. I'm also in London (small world!) and I'm plagued with street names that are spelled totally wrong, directions telling me to make illegal left turns, continue straight on a street when there's a dead end, and generally picking the worst possible route. They really have to update and put out better maps quicker. I guess there have been a lot of road changes and development in the are over the last few years, but all secondary roads and none have anything to do with the problems I've been getting.

I checked with the TeleAtlas website, wanting to report these errors, but found they had all been corrected and the maps on the website were freaking perfect. So why does it take that long to update the maps?

I wish you could just buy the raw map data from TeleAtlas and integrate it to whichever nav system you were using, that used it.

The TeleAtlas mapset included with Pioneer are absolute trash (in my area anyway) and many of the roads, although seen on the display, are not routable. The Navteq maps included with my Garmin are many times superiour (once again, in my area).

I am in London, Ontario, Canada and only the major streets in the latest map updates are routable, therefore, the Avic will not set up a route on anything less a major road, except when it has to jump to the actual address I am looking for, in which case, it says it can not provide navigation in this area.

Even with major roads, there are portions of roads it will not route on whatsoever, even if I set up waypoints along the way. The only way it will route on these roads is if I have a route I am following and I turn off onto one of these road segments and the Avic reroutes.

I do not know how the TeleAtlas maps work in Tornto, Ottawa, Vancouver or in the USA, but they are very disappointing in Southern Ontario.

Cool ... I would swing by and visit you, but if you live on "Warencliffe" I would just get lost.

I totally agree. I'm also in London (small world!) and I'm plagued with street names that are spelled totally wrong, directions telling me to make illegal left turns, continue straight on a street when there's a dead end, and generally picking the worst possible route. They really have to update and put out better maps quicker. I guess there have been a lot of road changes and development in the are over the last few years, but all secondary roads and none have anything to do with the problems I've been getting.

I checked with the TeleAtlas website, wanting to report these errors, but found they had all been corrected and the maps on the website were freaking perfect. So why does it take that long to update the maps?

I wish you could just buy the raw map data from TeleAtlas and integrate it to whichever nav system you were using, that used it.