AVIC411.com

Windows Automotive

If we assume the Z1 uses Windows CE Automotive we hopefully can use the specs put out by Microsoft. If not oh well.. Link at bottom to more info:

Windows Mobile for Automotive 1.0 Features
There are two versions of the Windows Mobile for Automotive software platform. Each version offers different levels of functionality to meet specific automaker needs.

Basic - This version includes Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free cell phone use and a USB port for digital music playback.

Standard - This version incorporates the Bluetooth connectivity and USB port and also features GPS and a built-in GSM phone to connect to services such as real-time traffic, navigation, and remote diagnostics. It includes safety and security features, and much more.

Windows Mobile for Automotive 1.0 Software Features

All underlying drivers for hardware
Windows Mobile for Automotive middleware and application framework
Device management tools for over-the-air updates
Bluetooth hands-free phone profile
USB port for digital music and device programming at dealerships
Power management system
Server connectivity support
Speech software for managed voice-command features available in nine languages

Hardware Features

32 bit 300 MHz ARM processor
Field programming gate array (FPGA)
32 MB flash memory
Cell phone module (standard version only)
GPS receiver (standard version only)
CAN bus interface
Bluetooth connectivity
Microphone for voice interaction with system

[url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsautomotive/wma/default.mspx[/url]
I have a habit of posting before I'm done researching:

• In-car factory-installed and aftermarket navigation. Currently, Microsoft’s Windows Automotive software platform is powering 61 preinstalled, dealer-option and aftermarket devices from 18 world-class automakers and suppliers, including Honda, Acura, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer. Alpine is offering the new NVE-N872A, and Pioneer recently introduced its first U.S. aftermarket in-car navigation system. The AVIC-Z1, winner of a 2006 CES Innovations Award, provides advanced turn-by-turn navigation and enables consumers to enjoy high-quality audio and video entertainment in the car.

[url]http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/jan06/01-05InfotainmentExperiencesPR.mspx[/url]
LOL, I was just about to post that. Found it when I was looking for Windows CE Automotive.

My concern is that even if can, legally, get my hands on Windows Automotive I still won't have everything I need because I'll need to reference some library specific to the AVIC-Z1. And of course there's no way I'll get access to that.
Hey Pulp, can you try this EXE on the Z1 and tell me if it works? I seriously doubt it will though. I figured out how to compile to Windows CE 5.0 devices and when doing it I see there is an extreamly simple way of signing code. Pioneer would be complete morons (or really cool programmers) if they didn't sign their code.

Man I want to be trying this stuff myself. Tomorrow (the day my radio is due to be delivered) seems like a thousand years from now...
[quote name="Cirbirus"]Hey Pulp, can you try this EXE on the Z1 and tell me if it works? I seriously doubt it will though. I figured out how to compile to Windows CE 5.0 devices and when doing it I see there is an extreamly simple way of signing code. Pioneer would be complete morons (or really cool programmers) if they didn't sign their code.

Man I want to be trying this stuff myself. Tomorrow (the day my radio is due to be delivered) seems like a thousand years from now...[/quote]

What file would you like me to try and replace? I say replace since we can't call another .exe yet. It would also seem that the video does not initialize until the system is fully booted.
The download.exe file does not seem to affect the boot but I haven't figured out what it does yet. I removed it from the HDD and the system still booted and ran fine.
[quote name="Cirbirus"]LOL, I was just about to post that. Found it when I was looking for Windows CE Automotive.

My concern is that even if can, legally, get my hands on Windows Automotive I still won't have everything I need because I'll need to reference some library specific to the AVIC-Z1. And of course there's no way I'll get access to that.[/quote]

I sent you a PM on the CE automotive. At least I think I did.. LOL
Don't bother with that file; I know it's not going to work. Learning more and more about this crazy Windows CE 5.0 I found out that I had in fact compiled it to the emulator "processor." so I seriously doubt it would work on the Z1. It would be like trying to run an app compiled for the Mac on a PC.

I'll recompile using the ARM libraries and post the file.
[quote name="Cirbirus"]Don't bother with that file; I know it's not going to work. Learning more and more about this crazy Windows CE 5.0 I found out that I had in fact compiled it to the emulator "processor." so I seriously doubt it would work on the Z1. It would be like trying to run an app compiled for the Mac on a PC.

I'll recompile using the ARM libraries and post the file.[/quote]

Take your time. I will be unable to test anything for most of the day.