AVIC411.com

Advice for Circuit City install

Well, my AVIC-N1 bit the dust because my car was involved in a mini flood and the brain was under about 3 inches of water. My insurance company is going to replace the N1 with the D3 and they are paying for the installation.

So since Circuit City is going to do the install, is there any way I can get them to do the bypass for me? Or will I have to take it somewhere else? Anyone in the Orlando/Central Florida area willing to help a brother out?

Thanks in advance!

It's highly doubtful they'll do the bypass for you.

I'll be getting the unit in the mail and then taking it Circuit City (insurance company is paying for the install ONLY at Circuit City). Should I move the mute cable to the upper position and then give it the CC installer? Or should I just let them install it and do the bypass later on?

I would just do the bypass yourself after they install it. You have to ground the parking brake wire too, so your going to have to take the unit out again anyway.

You should look up how hard the center dash is to take apart. If your lucky like me (mine snaps off after removing two hidden screws), then your worrying over nothing.

I am extremely surprised the insurance company can force you to have it installed at a certain store. I know in Canada, you can take it anywhere you feel like. Same with repairs to the car. You can get serveral quotes, but by no means are you required to take it to the lowest priced, or the one the insurance company prefers.

Yea, I agree, you might want to question your insurance company again. Personally, I would go with no one I didnt feel would do a quality job. Also, and I know im going to hear it from some of the big box guys on here but I feel that these types of stores are more apt to hire someone unqualified to do the install because they have so much demand and pressure to sell the product and can usually not be down for a long period of time do to not being able to install because they have no installer. Companies like that have a bottom line sales goal and they usually will take chances to make sure they meet that goal what ever the outcome may be. They also have a lot of power to smooth bad situations over if the worst does happen.

I am extremely surprised the insurance company can force you to have it installed at a certain store. I know in Canada, you can take it anywhere you feel like. Same with repairs to the car. You can get serveral quotes, but by no means are you required to take it to the lowest priced, or the one the insurance company prefers.

Well, here's the deal. The insurance company has a contract with Circuit City to do inspections on audio/video equipment in the cars they cover. The installation was actually supposed to come out of my pocket. They are sending me an AVIC-D3 from my request. But my original AVIC-N1 that was damaged retails for much higher than the D3. The company doesn't send cash for you to purchase a new Navi. So because of the price difference between the two, they will be sending me a voucher for use at Circuit City for free installation, and an extended warranty. (my policy for customization in my car only covers up to $1500 and they don't value the AVIC-N1 at $2000 anymore). Hope that clears it up.

hey bro,

i used to be a circuit city roadshop install manager. when we installed these navi's if anyone asked us to by pass it all we did was ask them to sign next to a comment on the work order "we hooked up the parking brake wire and tested unit for safty" had them initial next to it then they signed and dated the bottom of the work order so if they ever got in an accident we had papper work stating that we hooked it up right and they must have changed it after the install. i never ran into any problems the 4 years i was there.. i hope this helps.... so i would just offer to sign off on something saying they did it the right way to avoid any legal issues for them and you should have no problems.