AVIC411.com

Hi All,

I had my D3 "professionally" installed, and I am now going to do my own bypass and install the Bluetooth BTB200 in my 2007 Hummer H2.

Question: For the BTB200 Power Source: is it OK to "tap/splice" into the power source for the D3, or do you need a direct run to another power location?

Also, my installer hooked the ILL wire to a source connected to the dimmer, now i get "reverse" dimming of the D3 versus the cars illumination at night. Does anyone know a "clean" non-dimmer source to tap for the ILL in the Hummer?

Thanks all.

(P.S.: I did search for these answers first :lol: )

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the Bluetooth unit from Crutchfield, going to install it tomorrow.

Question: What is the best way to "splice" into the radio power source to connect the BTB200? I was planning on disconnecting the radio harness, and connecting on the radio side (so that I don't have to disconnect the battery lead). What type of connector would you use to "splice" the power source?

You could use 3M T-taps. These are the fastest and easiest but not the best connection. Could fail over time. the best way is to neck-tie the wire.

Cut 3/8"-!/2" of insulation off the wire you're connecting to and use a pick to spread the strainded wire down the middle length ways. Strip back the insulation on the tip of the bluetooth power wire and insert it though the hole you just made. Slide it to one end of the hole and use some pliars to pinch the wire back closed. Now wrap the bluetooth's power wire around the radio's power wire. Solder, tape, and you'll never have to worry about it.

Thanks Shotgun. I grew up soldering all connections and really have no experience with all of these "new" connectors.

I also plan on looking into the A-frame for the ILL hookup, as you suggested.

In addition, I am going to see if I can route the BTB200 MIC to the ceiling through the same cutout as the native Onstar MIC, any experience with that area?

T-Taps are great. I'm running my sirius tuner, BT and radio from the radio's power source. However I'm using an amp to power the speakers. hopefully this reduces the current draw on the D3. It would be nice if the D3 had an internal amp off feature like some of the Alpines.