AVIC411.com

Can hook up illumination wire

I had a D3 installed in a '06 Chevy but the screen it's too bright at night. The installer said because of the way some late model car and trucks are with day running lights it can't be done without modifications. Is he right or mis informed?

Do you know a good place to tap the ILL on a Hummer H2?

Another member had suggested the wire for the roof running lights in the A-frame, but I was not able to clearly find one there. I have fully installed and ran the ILL wire (disconnected) to below the steering wheel where I can access it easily. I am hoping for a connection somewhere near the fusebox to the left of the dash with driver door open.

Any suggestions?

I leave my lights set on "Auto" and am looking to tap a source that comes on with the headlights and is NOT dimmed.

I had a dimmed source hooked up, and the D3 illumination was reverse with respect to the dimming function (interior light low & D3 bright vs. interior bright & D3 dark)

The Ill wire in the H2 is in the very top of the A-piller. Remove the handle from the piller and the trim will come off. Remove the one screw holding the far left marker lamp and it will come off. Pull on the wires where they run through the grommet under the light and the grommet will pop out of the hole. Tap into the wire(on the under side of the grommet) that goes 12V w/ lights on and run the wire down the A-piller to the AVIC. Make sure to put the grommet back into the hole or all the water that sits on the roof will end on the floor in the truck!

As an alternative, I would be willing to bet that if you look at the light switch on the hummer, you can find it there. I found it on my silverado by accident when I installed guages. I would think that most everything in your dash that is dimmed will work, you just have to find the right wire with a DVM

Thanks Shotgun.

I was looking for it in the A-pillar, and couldn't find it as a separate set of wires. By that point it was tightly bundled and packaged with other wires.

It makes sense to get it at the running light, I actually had that grommet out to see if I could back trace the wires!

Any way to tell which of the 2 wires is the "hot" one, without first splicing into it and testing?

On another note, I was able to run the BTB200 MIC wire through the A-pillar to the ceiling location of the Onstar MIC. The BTB200 MIC wire exits the ceiling at the edge of the Onstar MIC cutout, with the BTB200 MIC attached to the ceiling at that point. Excellent MIC position!