AVIC411.com

Can't get camera visual?!?!

Man I'm really frustrated here.

I bought a rearview camera via thirdparty and it has basically three wires from it. Positive, Negative and Video.

I gave the camera power, grounded it and connected the yellow rca to the brain of the avic N2. No picture is displayed no matter what I try to do. Are there settings in the avic N2 that need to be on to "receive" the camera, besides the basic "camera on". What about Ground/Polarity - does it make a difference?

I am about 90% sure that the camera is receiving power because I have tried with multiple attempts to multiple different areas.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

so when you turn the camera setting on, and you put in reverse does the screen turn black atleast? If so, then the camera is not powered or is not grounded correctly. Get a multimeter and test the voltage at the camera. If it has 12v then ground it somewhere else.

If the screen doesn't turn black when you put it into reverse then you don't have your reverse wire hooked up correctly in the vehicle.

a.) the screen is always black. when i put the car into reverse there is no difference as the screen is constantly the same.

b.) although I noticed the reverse wire coming from the BRAIN (purple) I did not touch it as I assumed that was if I only wanted the camera to be functional when the car was in reverse, and I want the camera to be functional at all times.

thanks

I will be as descriptive as I can, but the screen really is always black.

Even BEFORE I installed the camera to my car, I turned the camera "function" on in the AVIC N2, and the screen was black with a small message on the bottom "this image may appear reversed" I believe.

Now, with the camera installed, and hopefully powered, the same message and same screen is appearing. It was black, and it still is black.

Is it causing a big problem that the reverse why does not lead anywhere?

a.) the screen is always black. when i put the car into reverse there is no difference as the screen is constantly the same.

b.) although I noticed the reverse wire coming from the BRAIN (purple) I did not touch it as I assumed that was if I only wanted the camera to be functional when the car was in reverse, and I want the camera to be functional at all times.

thanks

what input do you the camra hooked up to?

The camera is only connected to a single point at the headunit and that is the rear camera input on the brain. No other connections were made whatsoever except for the + and - to power the camera.

thanks.

that rear camra input would need the purple/white wire to be hooked up.

if you want it to be on all the time use a video input of the brain, then you will see the video. You dont want to use the camra input.

thank you for your continued help.

i cannot input it into the video input of the brain because that is where the PS2 is plugged into. It has to be plugged into the rear camera input, (unless there is two video inputs on the brain?)

thanks again.

The camera is only connected to a single point at the headunit and that is the rear camera input on the brain. No other connections were made whatsoever except for the + and - to power the camera.

thanks.

if you want it to be on all the time use a video input of the brain, then you will see the video. You dont want to use the camra input.

Well that wouldn't be the best solution, as you can have it on all the time if it was hooked up correctly. You should have that reverse wire hooked up too for it to work right as well. I would have to say that the cigarette lighter isn't giving it enough power, or that the camera is broken. Try a different rca cable. Meter all of the wires and tell us what you have. If you cannot do that then take it to some one who has installed these before.

Whatever its your car, if you want it to be half assed in there then go right ahead.

thanks.

Well that wouldn't be the best solution, as you can have it on all the time if it was hooked up correctly. You should have that reverse wire hooked up too for it to work right as well. I would have to say that the cigarette lighter isn't giving it enough power, or that the camera is broken. Try a different rca cable. Meter all of the wires and tell us what you have. If you cannot do that then take it to some one who has installed these before.

Whatever its your car, if you want it to be half assed in there then go right ahead.

If you want to be technical when you hook up a meter to your cigarette lighter wires you still read 12v or 11.5. 12v is 12v no matter what. This for (installthis06)i dont know how long you have been installing but you need help in the patience section of your knowledge, people just need help sometimes not people being evil. Remeber that!

If you want to be technical when you hook up a meter to your cigarette lighter wires you still read 12v or 11.5. 12v is 12v no matter what. This for (installthis06)i dont know how long you have been installing but you need help in the patience section of your knowledge, people just need help sometimes not people being evil. Remeber that!

How bout you worry about solving the problem on hand and not worry about my patience.

Anyways...if its hooked up correctly and you have

12v or 11.5. 12v is 12v no matter what
at your source...then either the cable or the camera is broken. Who did you buy the camera from? I just had a customer by a camera from yescom or something from ebay and I installed it yesterday and it turned out pretty nice. I think he paid like $60.