AVIC411.com

Backup Camera Installation

Just curious as to what others did. I installed my camera a year ago, but would like to know how others worked around this issue.

1) Are most of you using the Pioneer cam? or another?

2) Where did you install it? I drilled out the center of my licence plate and flush mounted it. Can't even tell it's there! (There was a big dot in the middle on AZ plates...i drilled it out)

3) On the end of the wire is a rather large 4-pin square plug (if I recall correctly). So as to not have to drill such a large hole in the vehicle to pass the wire through, did you guys cut the wire and resolder it together? or remove the plug...somehow? or just make a big hole!?

Thanks!

On the end of the wire is a rather large 4-pin square plug (if I recall correctly). So as to not have to drill such a large hole in the vehicle to pass the wire through, did you guys cut the wire and resolder it together? or remove the plug...somehow? or just make a big hole!?

I've done all of the above. Depends on the camera's cable and plug.

Before I got the Z1 I had installed a camera and monitor in my Avalanche. Came as a custom packaged kit that was designed for the Avalanche. Called the "CubbyCam" since it fit perfectly into the dash. The camera is about the size of a roll of nickels and fits perfectly in the open cavity thats above the license plate on the hitch. Outstanding picture quality.

When I got the Z1 I just added a switched splitter to view on both screens.

DSC03874.jpg

I've done all of the above. Depends on the camera's cable and plug.

Using the Pioneer camera?

On the Pioneer cams you can remove the pins from the plug. You should write down some notes on the wire locations for when it's time to reconnect them. You should be able to see the locking tangs of each pin though the plug. Use a very small jewelers flat head screw driver to release each pin.