AVIC411.com

Wire Location AVIC Z2?

I have installed the AVIC Z2 into my truck. The only wires I have left to connect are the illumination signal source and vehicle speed sensor (VSS). I did manage the reverse signal.

I have a 2006 Chevy 2500 HD diesel with Allison transmission (crew cab).

I have tried the illumination wire behind the light switch (brown/white wire and purple wire) with no luck. I have also tried the VSS wire behind the instrument cluster green/white wire with no luck.

Any help on wire location would be appreciated.

BTW, my Z2 did not start-up beyond the splash screen for the first time (it is very hot this week). I contacted Pioneer and they are aware of the problem, but really don't have any fixes (the Pioneer guy said it happens even in 60 degree weather so it may not be the heat). Pioneer is supposed to give me a response back within 24 hours as to the problem. Yeah right...

Thanks!

Can't really help with the wires, I'm a Ford Truck guy myself. If you haven't already, check out the12volt.com. They will probably have a wiring diagram for your truck that shows wire colors and locations.

As far as your unit freezing there are several threads here with others (including myself) having the same problem. I'm pleasantly surprised that the Pioneer support person admitted there was a known issue. Usually they just tell you to send the unit in for repair. In the meantime, use a sunshade to try and keep your interior cool. The operational temp of the drive only goes up to 158F, so once your internal dash temps reach that you'll be staring at the "Pioneer" screen until your next reboot.

ok, vss is behind instrument cluster. it is green/white and is located in the forth position in. there may be another grreen/white in that same plug in the third position in, the one you want is number 4.

the illumination wire needs to go to the brown wire at the parking light. yes at the light. not in the dash, only the light. see the light? go to the light. the light is safe. the light is good. good light.the brown/white at the light switch is the dimmer control wire that goes to the bcm AND IS NOT SAFE TO CONNECT TO YOUR UNIT. there are two grommets that run to the under hood that are fine to run the wire under the hood. 8)

Try the convenace center in the upper left drivers floorboard. I believe it's the lower, left pin in the upper, right socket.

So I looked...It is a verticle socket:

------------

| X X |

| X X |

| LL X |

------------

I do not have a wire in the lower left (LL).

Use a multi-meter to test the pins for an ill signal. Be sure not to short two of the pins together. There will not be a wire there, but you can use an 1/8" female disconnect to slide on the pin. I'll get you an exact location if I get a chance today.

Thanks! So I am not looking for a wire...I am just looking for a pin to plug the ill wire from Z2 into...I will check with multimeter today...

I was wrong on the socket. It's the lower, left pin in the second from the left socket on the top row. If you need the reverse wire, it's the green wire in the upper right corner of the square brown plug. Test them before making the connections.

OK, I can't get those to show anything on the meter...However, I did test the brown/white wire behind the headlight switch and boom...12 volts when I turn the light on and 0 when off. Would this be ok to tap? I thought I tried this one with no luck...but! maybe I didn't get a good connection.

ok, vss is behind instrument cluster. it is green/white and is located in the forth position in. there may be another grreen/white in that same plug in the third position in, the one you want is number 4.

the illumination wire needs to go to the brown wire at the parking light. yes at the light. not in the dash, only the light. see the light? go to the light. the light is safe. the light is good. good light.the brown/white at the light switch is the dimmer control wire that goes to the bcm AND IS NOT SAFE TO CONNECT TO YOUR UNIT. there are two grommets that run to the under hood that are fine to run the wire under the hood. 8)

Why is it not safe to connect to this wire (brown/white at the light switch)? It shows 12 volts when lights are on and 0 volts when lights are turned off...Are diesel crew cabs different?