AVIC411.com

Best way to run Waze or Google Maps ??

So what's the best way to get Waze or Google Maps in my dash?  I'm looking at Nexes because they seem to be leading phone integration. 

I need navigation with traffic data pulled through my iPhone 5s.  RDS (radio) traffic is not good enough.  I think the "regular" Nex nav uses radio data.

I just saw a (10 month old) video of AppRadio and AR Live and it was mess of button pressing, mode changing, delays and the guy still had his phone mounted to press buttons on it.  Not appealing.

I don't have a good impression of Apple Maps, but I haven't used it since their infamous debut.  Do they even have traffic?  Is it comparable to Waze or Google Maps?

Am I too early?  Do I need to wait for Waze on CarPlay?  Are there competing devices that do it better?

Thanks!

tlc

Get rid of that fisher-price toy called the iphone.  CarPlay is so limited on a NEX.  Even on the 8100, no pinch-to-zoom.      Get a Nexus 6 phone, and a NEX8100 head unit, you will not be disappointed.  Google Maps is excellent, and Waze provides traffic to Google Maps since Waze is a Google-owned company now.

Well, the company pays for my iPhone, so that won't be happening for a while.

But I am curious.  I guess you're using Android Auto?  Does Android Auto integrate better than AppRadio?  It's an HDMI+Bluetooth connection like AppRadio, right?  Can you put the phone away and just use the 8100?  Can you use Waze while streaming music through your phone?  While playing music off of a USB connected iPod?

If you prefer to Keep the iPhone and avoid the Play-Skol Android - Just use the AppRadio Mode. It works perfectly with Waze and Google Maps. The downside is that you can not use the USB for audio. The lightening to HDMI interface doesn't pass USB, only power.

If you prefer to Keep the iPhone and avoid the Play-Skol Android - Just use the AppRadio Mode. It works perfectly with Waze and Google Maps. The downside is that you can not use the USB for audio. The lightening to HDMI interface doesn't pass USB, only power.

This video made AppRadio mode look pretty painful.  

Can you tell me if it is a fair representation?  Maybe it's out of date.  It went:

1. OK on NEX.
  2. Allow on iPhone. Login on iPhone
  3. OK on NEX.
  4. Select LIVE.
  5. Set up Nav route with Live's INRIX Nav.
  6. Switch to Waze.

I guess you can skip LIVE and go straight to Waze. But I haven't seen how that integrates with the rest of the radio/phone.  It's no fun if the unit does all these wonderful things, but not at the same time or only with Rain Man button sequences.

Can I put the phone away, or will I need both control screens?

Thanks!

tlc

If you prefer to Keep the iPhone and avoid the Play-Skol Android

Awwww, couldn't come up with something original?  Its ok, you did the same as apple.  copy someone else, twist it around a bit, and pass it off as your own.