AVIC411.com

VW bluetooth and AVIC8100NEX

I realize this will be a unique scenario but I am wondering if anyone that would have this combination of vehicle make and head unit could help.

I have an AVIC8100NEX running latest firmware (1.05) installed in a 2014 VW Tiguan with an iDataLink Maestro unit that gives me integration to steering wheel controls and dashboard display. This installation allows me, in Settings -> OEM Settings -> Handsfree calling to choose either VW or the AVIC unit to handle bluetooth calls.

When set to AVIC, handsfree calling functions are not ideal. The VW display complains that no phone is connected (causing confusion for my wife) and trying to use the voice command button on the wheel results in a "no phone is connected" message. So voice initiated calling is a no go and it's not a good "integrated" experience.

When set to VW, handsfree calling functions well. The VW displays the connected phone info and voice initiated calling works. This is the mode I want and it works great when I choose that setting.

The issue I am having is that the setting is not persisted after I turn the car off. The next time I start up, checking the settings shows that AVIC is selected as handling handsfree calling and I am in weird state where my phone is connected to VW PHONE but the AVIC wants to handle calls and it just doesn't work. If I manually change the setting again to handsfree=VW all is great until the next time I get in the car.

Would anyone have a similar combination of VW and AVIC with iDataLink that could test this and see if they have the same results? I have contacted Pioneer and my installer but so far I have had no luck finding a fix.

I have a 4100NEX and a GLI with the iDataLink Maestro.  I don't believe that I've set the handsfree setting at all, and mine works with both the VW integrated bluetooth as well as the AVIC bluetooth, even simultaneously.  I have a work cell phone as well as a personal one, and I can have my personal phone connected via Android Auto (which uses the AVIC bluetooth), while my work cell is connected to the VW bluetooth.

I suspect that the issue lies with your phone (or your wife's phone) choosing to connect to the AVIC bluetooth rather than the VW bluetooth.  You should either remove the phone from the AVIC bluetooth settings, or remove the AVIC bluetooth from within your phone's bluetooth settings, preferably both.  Then your phone should only be able to connect to the VW integrated bluetooth, eliminating the message on the MFD.