AVIC411.com

Avic 8100-NEX Navigation Good or Bad?

Hi all,

I am going to be purchasing the Avic 8100-NEX next week, and I am curious about the navigation.    I have read a lot of reviews about the navigation, and they seem to be of mixed feelings.  Some of the similar comments are stating that the routing is horrible and not very accurate, the voice does not pronounce the words correctly, the voice volume is very quiet, etc.  

For those of you who own this deck and have used the navigation, what do you think about it?

Thanks in advance.

I used it mosly as a reference... yes the voice is not all that great as compared to Googles... being that it's not setup by someone who speaks english, but rather someone from another contry, it gets some words (a lot of spanish words in LosAng)

As far as the route it picks it is usually as good as Googles...  what I really hated was that unless you were RIGHT at the spot it thinks you need to go, it will re-route you a LOT.  i.e. if you have it go to CVS, it's going to have you practcly park at the front door before it tells you , you have arrived.  At least wiht Gooles Maps it tells you you have arrived if you are within 100 years/feet

And you cann't use your voice of course... so Android Auto/CarPlay are better for that.

THe unit is worth it if you got a great price... go for the 8200, I think it's a bit better, and the MaestroRR works 100% , where as the 8100 doesn't do the OEM stuff from the RR

Thanks for the reply.

I currently have a windshield mounted Garmin, which is about 5 years old and starting to act up.  The only plus side to the Garmins's is that you get liftetime map updates. 

Currently I have a 4100nex which is having technical issues and is being sent back to the store for a replacement, or credit towards another model.  I looked at the 8100nex because of the capacitive screen, navigation, and the price had dropped.  The 8200nex would be great but, it's $400 more than the 8100. 

Hey, does the Maestro RR control the calling buttons on your steering wheel if you have them?  My steerig wheel on my 2013 Hyundai Sonata, has buttons to place a call, hang up etc.  I just wasn't totally sure if those buttons actually worked well with the head unit.