AVIC411.com

AVIC 8200NEX Newbie Questions

Hi to all,

Please forgive me newbie questions in advance.

I am disabled by Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and nine permanently mishealed rib and rib cartilage fractures caused by violent coughing as a result of chronic acute sinus infections. I have a PTSD Service Animal. I called the Pioneer technical support telephone number about the two issues below and the person I spoke to did not speak good English and did not have good information to diagnosis the two following questions and concerns:

The system was installed into a 1999 Toyota Camry LE. I own a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge running Android Marshmallow 6.02. 

1. What are specific functions of the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire on the back of the unit, please see screenshot below. The install guy did not hook it up but after showing him the Pioneer install manual, a YouTube video related to it and researching www.avic411.com he agreed it is necessary and is doing so next week.

a. Other than system settings showing metrics of VSS (attached picture) is there any activation method in the Navi software I need to take to make it active once wired into my car?

2. What is difference between the NaviSync app and the pioneer.naviextras.com website and which should be used to update the navigation software only on unit, not my phone. I really don't want to use the AvicSync app on my phone due to the space it requires and will probably never use the AvicSync navigation app on my phone standalone.

a. What is unit's and navigation's current firmware and software versions, they are not listed on Pioneers web site, the web site you provided below (pioneer.naviextras.com), and the technical support man I spoke to claimed not to have access to them.

b. When I followed the instructions listed on the website you provided me below to update the navigation software (and check if it's current) I received an error message, please see attached picture. I used an SD card and followed the precise instructions, which are sort of backwards in the sense that you first have to put the SD card into the units SD card slot and transfer the current navigation software version to the SD card, then come back inside and put the SD card into your computer to even be able to log-into NaviextrasToolbox (on the computer), please see screenshot below. But, the Naviextras Toolbox seems to want me to take my laptop outside to the car and connect it to the unit via a USB cord (different than the instructions on their own site for the unit, please see screenshot below). So bottom line is I need to know the correct manner to check and update the navigation software.

3. When using the Avic navigation map my phone (which is associated and paired with the system) is greyed out. Without using AvicSync, is there anyway to program destinations based on the contacts located in my phone like in Google Maps? This would be huge drawback to using the system's navigation.

Any help is greatly appreciated and make it a great day. I attached pictures so they may help the "experts" here assist me.

Donald.post-138064-0-09895700-1466352120_thumb.pngpost-138064-0-48660800-1466352120_thumb.pngpost-138064-0-01131100-1466352121_thumb.pngpost-138064-0-95087100-1466352121_thumb.jpgpost-138064-0-75304000-1466352122_thumb.jpgpost-138064-0-43101300-1466352124_thumb.jpgpost-138064-0-24235900-1466352125_thumb.jpgpost-138064-0-99964700-1466352125_thumb.jpgpost-138064-0-77477000-1466352126_thumb.jpg

1. you don't need to hookup your vss, it work fine with HU GPS.

2a. This should list on pioneer website under download.

HU map suck i use it when i don't have cell service, you should use google map or waze via MirrorLink.

my is 7000NEX running mirror link with Note 5 no root work awesome.

I can't tell you whether connecting VSS is necessary, better, or not.  I connected mine and that's that.

The Naviextras Toolbox application isn't only for head units.  It's also used for handheld units.  Handheld units get connected directly to the PC.  Headunits use storage media to transfer files.  You must insert blank SD into head unit first, and run SyncTool, so head unit can write your license, map files, versions, etc. to the SD card so Toolbox can validate your head unit and determine what mapping software is on it.