AVIC411.com

NEX 6100 Format Read Error from USB

Hi All,

I have a NEX 6100 that I am using to play video files back from the USB1 port.  I have 128GB SSD connected to it.

I used handbrake to convert a number of videos following another useful post from this site that listed settings to be witihin tolerance forthe players capability.

I am getting constant format read error problems from the player.  The video will play for a few seconds to a few minutes and then hit the format read error again.

Connections appear solid (both USB to Extension to Back of head unit and the SSD USB to extension.  It seems to manifest when parked or driving.

I don't think it's related to the video's themselves since they play for a while and then error and then resume.

It's starting to drive my kids nuts when they want to watch their videos.

Any insight/thoughts/ideas would be appreciated!

thank you,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Just to get some closure on this thread. 

I pulled out the head unit and checked the USB connection pins on the headunit side.  Port 2 which is required so I can use the dual entertainment zone feature had bent pins from the factory...  The pins were flush against the outside of the USB port.  They need to be inward to make a good contact with the USB male plug.

I pushed the USB tabs up with a dental pick and then connection has been solid.  Meaning no more format read problems.