AVIC411.com

AVIC-D2 installation questions

Hey folks, some guys from F150online.com referred me to here about some questions I have regarding a D2 installation in my 2004 F150 Lariat Supercab.

A friend of mine got me a good deal on an AVIC-D2 that I couldn't pass up, and I've always wanted one of those high zoot DVD/nav head units. I know it's an older unit, but still, it looks cool and the price was right.

Is there a plug and play harness available for this head unit going into an F150? Crutchfield doesn't even show the D2 as being available anymore, and they don't show any specific harnesses for it. I got a bundle of wires with the head unit, but if possible, I'd like a harness I could wire up, plug into my factory wiring, then plug into the head unit harness so I could minimize the wiring I'd have to cut/splice in my truck. I've been able to pick up harnesses like that for single DIN non-nav head units before, I don't know if the same thing was available for this unit. I don't have the factory sub, for whatever that's worth, and have no plans of adding a sub or an amp anytime soon.

I'd like to retain the use of my factory steering wheel controls so I understand I'd need an interface like one of those Pac Audio doohickeys. I believe the SWI-PS is the one I need according to their website - anyone use the same/similar adapter? Any problems with it? Difficult to install and/or program?

I'm holding off on installing it for a bit, 'cause I wanna get the steering wheel interface, the XM radio adapter and the iPod adapter; I wanna try to get all my ducks in a row so I don't have to run back and forth between home and Circuit City, and so I'll only have to take everything apart once. About the XM adapter, I plan on keeping the XM antenna in the same spot I've got it now with my Roady XT, under the wiper cowl on the passenger's side. But where do you guys normally run your GPS antennas?

Also, the head unit came with a bracket that the radio slides in to and a trim plate. Is this all I need to cleanly install this thing in my dash, or do I need one of those double DIN installation kits like from Scosche or Metra?

Thanks in advance. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I know its late but you can get a Metra harness converter harness which one in plugs inot your factory harness and the other end into a Metra Pr0180. Its a two part system.

Im about to install a D3 in my saturn and will take pics of it.

I just saw your post and was curious if the Metra PR01-80 did in-fact hook up to the avic-d3 and function :-) It would save a bunch of time and headaches IMHO if it does.

All you need to do is find the VSS wire and then ground the other items if you want "easy" navigation

well thank you in advance,

John

I know its late but you can get a Metra harness converter harness which one in plugs inot your factory harness and the other end into a Metra Pr0180. Its a two part system.

Im about to install a D3 in my saturn and will take pics of it.

I just saw your post and was curious if the Metra PR01-80 did in-fact hook up to the avic-d3 and function :-) It would save a bunch of time and headaches IMHO if it does.

All you need to do is find the VSS wire and then ground the other items if you want "easy" navigation

well thank you in advance,

John

The only way the pro180 works is if you remove the pins for vss, reverse, and parking brake from the orginal avic harness and move them to the pro180. Do yourself a favor and just wire up the avics harness.