AVIC411.com

IDE Flash Drive?

Has anyone tried imaging an unlocked hard drive to a solid-state flash drive like the Samsung 32GB IDE flash disk?

Given that one of the largest complaints regarding the Z-series is the delayed boot time a solid state hard drive may pep the unit up a bit.

I have access to a couple of these solid-state devices and am tempted to give it a whirl, but thought I'd post to get other's input...in the event that someone else has had the same thought.

Theres another thread floating around here in which a member performed tests with several different hard drive makes. It was to try and figure out why the units were rebooting with some upgraded hard drives.

At first the theory was the larger drives had too much current draw. But unless I'm mistaken I believe his test proved the issue was the unit confirms that the installed drive is a toshiba make. It does its first check around the 60 minute mark and then subsequent checks every 15-20 mins, so it would be an expensive test if it failed.

• 2 weeks later...