AVIC411.com

N2 - parking brake connection problem

I've been searching on the parking brake connection and there seems to be a relation with the bypass.

I'm not sure what all the deal is, but please bear with me. Your help is greatly appreciated!

I have a car I just purchased. The previous owner had the AVIC-N2 installed and was using it primarily for GPS navigation (I know - such a waste). I'm making plans to make better use of it, but I'm having a problem.

Just the other day, I started getting messages saying the parking brake connector was not functioning properly. The unit would also occationally reset itself and lose power. I checked the connections on the back of the unit (head unit, not the hidden unit). The parking brake connection looks intact and the power leads all look good.

ANY idea on what could be causing this to happen? I don't think the bypass was done as I cannot enter addresses while moving. Would a bad/loose ground cause the power and parking brake connection reading?

On a semi-related note, the unit has to be 'helped' to open and close. Would that be an indicator that the ribbon cable needs to be redone?

I'm learning how capable these units are and they seem quite capable, but I'm playing catch up on this...