AVIC411.com

Image/Re-image/SD Card Replacement process for AVIC-7200NEX

After some research and super helpful guidance in these forums, I'm happy to say that I was able to revive my AVIC 7200NEX after experiencing the obnoxious "Software Error" screen. 

I wanted to share my experience and notes since not everything is labelled as working for this specific model.

Firstly, the take-down was generally the same as the model in this video: Pioneer Software Error Fix - SD Card Replacement Procedure. The difference in the unit depicted and my 7200 is in how the touch-screen is handled. Specifically, there is a ribbon cable connecting the touch screen and the main board that gave me some trouble. I'm sorry I neglected to take a photo, but if you find yourself in my position of accidentally disconnecting that cable, you'll find it is much easier to re-attach if you slide it out of its guiding slots in the plastic frame, then sort-of fold it to place it back inside that guiding spot. Aside from that ribbon cable the take down and reassembly was reasonably straight-forward and in line with the video.

For the new SD card, I found a Sandisk 32GB Class 10 Ultra at the nearby Target for under $15. Crazy how inexpensive the fix for this is, and really disappointing that Pioneer selected such cheap cards OEM. Something to keep in mind when considering future Pioneer products.

The image we found to work is linked-to in the main thread by @Steveshoots, i.e. http://bit.ly/2k5Y6fz. That image is referred to for a few other models but I'm happy to say it's working great for us and the 7200. So far we have confirmed general audio connectivity, Apple CarPlay, and Bluetooth. Oddly it has a Volkswagen logo background as the default, which seems funny in our Subaru Outback, but I didn't care enough to try to change it (yet).

I'm a Mac user so I used Balena Etcher to write the image to the new SD card: https://etcher.balena.io/. This step is the easiest of the whole process. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that the image in the link works on a European AVIC-F77DAB and gets FULL functionality (as far as I can tell) but it is impossible to change the time and it doesn't have any European maps on it.

It will certainly do the job until I can find a more suitable alternative!