AVIC411.com

For the most part I try to use the Library but have about 4,000 songs I would like to keep on the iPod. Some are artist with only one track because they are from things I ripped like Ultimate 70s'.

Anyway would like those with tips on how to organize playlist etc to help with browsing to chime in.

Wish there was a easier way to jump to a letter. Like the M's instead of scrolling !

Thanks in advance

For the most part I try to use the Library but have about 4,000 songs I would like to keep on the iPod. Some are artist with only one track because they are from things I ripped like Ultimate 70s'.

Anyway would like those with tips on how to organize playlist etc to help with browsing to chime in.

Wish there was a easier way to jump to a letter. Like the M's instead of scrolling !

Thanks in advance

The best I've been able to come up with is using the stars/ratings in itunes. I set a smart playlist called "5 star" to pull only those sings with exactly 5 stars, then, when I come across a rare gem like the one you're mentioning, which I know I'll want to play in the car and access easily, I just quickly give it 5 stars. When I sync, bam, there it is in the top-most playlist. So far, it's the fastest system I can think of. Like you said, the iPod interface is all but useless when it comes to searching artists or albums, especially with larger librarys on the iPod. Wish there was a better way, mate.

Yea it helps to break it down into playlist for sure. I stopped using Itunes this week and started syncing and making playlist with Winamp. I am must happier with it.

I tried something as a test that kind of worked but not how I wanted.

I created playlist for A-D, E-H, I-L, M-P etc. Then I added all artist to those playlist. It only took about 5 minutes to create the playlist and copy the artist to the proper playlist.

So if I want to listen to Joe Walsh I just select playlist I-L. The only problem is I expected to see the artist but it was the titles. So Joe Walsh's songs are there if you know the titles.

I would be happy if Pioneer had made it so you could hold down the sroll bar and get a A-Z thing come up to select.

• 5 months later...

I created several smart playlists, one for the least played tunes, one for the newest additions to the library and one for the tunes not played in the last couple months. Then I combined them into a final playlist which groups the results of the other three so I don't get repeats.

I got the idea here. It actually works out pretty cool, I never have to worry about repeats and I can create several different types of playlists to suit my moods.