AVIC411.com

How I used the DNX7100 aux switches

On another post somebody mentioned their installer put in a rocker switch to allow them to force the rear view camera on at any time. Their installer obviously doesn't know the DNX7100 very well, as it comes with two touch screen controlled outputs for use in powering aux relays.

I just used two standard SPDT automotive relays. On one the common goes to the rear camera reverse sense input on the 7100, the Normally Closed (NC) lead goes to the reverse source (back-up light power) and the Normally Open (NO) lead goes to +12v. This way with the relay turned off the reverse camera comes on and off normally with the back-up lights but by selecting the relay on the screen I can turn the camera on at any time.

The other relay I hooked up to the parking brake input. Same idea except the common goes to the parking brake sense, the Normally Closed lead goes to the parking brake switch and the Normally Open lead goes to ground. This way with the relay off, the unit acts as it were properly hooked up, no video up front, no phone controls, no advanced nav controls... if the parking brake is released. But if I want my passenger to change the nav destination or punch in a phone number I can select the other relay and poof I'm bypassed. Turn it off and if anyone should call me on it, hey see, it works as it was designed.

The rocker switch may be very quick and easy to get to and they said it was installed in a blank but I didn't have a blank available and I hate permanently cutting into anything interior to install something if I can help it.

Hope this give others some ideas since they are kind of hidden swiches... :wink: