AVIC411.com

Taking the plunge with a Z1 and the flash mod

I just ordered the flasher circuit. (It's the one going to infinite loop ducatiboy :D ) Looks like a top quality product and thank you for the instructions on how it works. Until I read that it does not actually flash the headlights and just tells the HU that it did a concern of mine is set aside.

My car is a 2006 Jetta GLI and these cars use a CAN-BUS system for the electronics and many of the features of the car. I currently have a D1 installed and use a DIETZ CAN adapter to keep my steering wheel volume controls intact and it also provides speed pulse, parking brake, switched 12v, constant 12v, backup signal, and illumination.

I was concerned that if the circuit actually sent back a signal to the car so to speak that it would trip out the DIETZ adapter and I'd just have to wire it into the headlight switch making for a less uh clean install.

I did the install of the D1 myself along with the parking brake hack for that thing but, I've had it with the track up/down button on the damn thing. I try to hit track up with it and I end up going playlist up. :evil:

I also find the iPod integration in the D1 lacking and the Z1 seems to be much improved. Since I have playlists I don't think the slownedd of browsing artists, etc will bother me.

Bluetooth is a plus too as I have a RAZR and detest people talking hands on their phone wile driving. And I don't like the borg bluetooth microphone hanging off one of my ears when driving.

Anyways, I should be doing the install this weekend I hope. Are there many new VW/Audi owners here who would be interested in a writeup? I know the wires needed to tap if you don't have a can adapter to get speed pulse, backup, and parking brake.