AVIC411.com

2006 Subaru WRX Manual VSS wire??

Hi all! New to this site, and I must say you guys are amazing!! I just bought a Z2 made in April, and the 2 wire bypass worked flawlessly first time without even needing to update!

I am not sure my VSS wire is hooked up correctly however. I didn't hook it up until the second day I was using it. I have had it in for several hundred miles and about 1.5 weeks... When I look at the diagnostics, I have gotten about 60 speed pulses, but in the list of things that are/aren't connected, there is always a zero next to the Speed sensor...

Also, the learning mode says "simple hybrid." Isn't this supposed to change to 3D hybrid when the VSS wire is hooked up?

Do I need to reset it since I hooked up the VSS wire after the unit had already started learning mode?

But my main question is, do I even have the right wire?? I went with Crutchfield's info that it is a Green/Black wire behind the instrument cluster (speedometer). The people that installed my alarm gave me a printout that said it was a Yellow/Grey (i think) wire behind the glove box. I talked to Subaru and they said it was Pin #13 on the B136 ECM under the passanger side carpet...

AAGGHHHH!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Speed Sense

green/yellow or green/black

ECM below glove box

On the non-turbo models the vss is in pin 12 of the 35 pin plug. On the turbo models the vss is in pin 13 of the 35 pin plug. On the STi models the vss is in pin 26 of the 35 pin plug. The vss wire is also found behind the instrument cluster.

There ya go.

joe r

you are the man!!!!

I do have the Turbo Model. So to find this ECM i have to pull up the carpet on the front passenger side floor, correct? And is there only one 35 pin plug? This sounds just like what I got from Subaru, which said pin #13 on B136 (just wasn't sure which one that was).

Thank you so much, I really didn't want to have to deal with calling Pioneer and all that.

Ok so I just ripped up my carpet and got to the ECM. Looking at the unit from the side with the plugs, I am dealing with the second one from the left (35 pins).

Then, looking at the plug from the opposite side of the wires (female side), I counted #13 (7 on top row, 6 from left on 2nd row). I find it to be a Red/White wire, which is actually what Subaru said it was...

Sound right at all??

That I am not sure about.The info I posted was from Directed.I would test the wire you have & see if it works for you as you are stating that is what SUbaru told you.

If not count on the other side of the plug & see if you find the colors I posted if the red/white wires is not good.

joe r

ok, i'll try just wiring the z2 right to it. then on the screen that shows the connection status for everything, i should get a reading next to the speed pulse?

also, should the learning status change from 'simple hybrid' to '3D hybrid' automatically when this is connected properly?

Thank you again so much for your help. I'm ou to work on it some more now. Only 29 degrees out...

Speed Sense

green/yellow or green/black

ECM below glove box

On the non-turbo models the vss is in pin 12 of the 35 pin plug. On the turbo models the vss is in pin 13 of the 35 pin plug. On the STi models the vss is in pin 26 of the 35 pin plug. The vss wire is also found behind the instrument cluster.

Count pins & check for wire colors above.

joe r

So I'm sure you think I'm retarded by now... I'm including a picture of the four plugs on my ECM. I am currently using the second one from the left. Now, they all are the same plastic plug... but to determine if it's a 35 pin, does it depend on how many wires are actually connected? because none of them have all 35 connected.

Secondly, when counting, am I correct in looking at the female side (opposite side of where the wires come in) and counting left to right, top to bottom? Do I count just the plugs with wires, or all including blank spaces?

I'm seeing a few Green/Yellow wires, but none seem to be in the right spot... Hopefully you can shine some more light on this for me.[/img]

If all else fails pull your gauge cluster.Very easy unless you have the crappy factory boost gauge.

Pull steering wheel down to lowest setting,deinstall 2 screws above gauges & pull gauge cluster cover out.deinstall 4 screws holding gauge cluster to dash.pull gauge cluster out of dash & find wire colors listed above.It should be the green/yellow at gauge cluster.

Your pic is a tad blurry.

joe r