AVIC411.com

ND-BT1 Bluetooth Voice Delay Problems with Z2

I'm using the ND-BT1 bluetooth adapter with my Z2 and everything connects and works fine, except....when you make a call out, the icon shows the BT is connected, the radio mutes, but you don't hear the call ringing until after the phone is picked up and the call-ee starts talking. Then you get about a 2 second delay before you start hearing the voice.

I've tried this with another BT headset and everything works fine. The problem is only with the ND-BT1. I can't really find any kind of settings on that unit except for the volume through the Phone Settings menu.

Anyone else having this problem, or any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone else having this problem, or any suggestions?

Nope. On my Z2 / ND-BT1, I hear the phone ring (through the car speakers) as soon as I dial. As such, there is no delay when the user picks up.

This has been true for all 4 of my cell phones (Ericsson T637

, Motorola RAZR, Motorola KRZR, and my current LG Chocolate 2) and I can't think of why you're experiencing a delay. Best guess is maybe there's a problem with your phone and how it pairs to the Z2. Have you tried pairing a different phone?

No I haven't paired any other phones to the Z2 but I have tried 3 other headsets with the BB Pearl and they all work exactly like they are supposed to. The delay in connecting is only with the Z2. I've also noticed that if you turn the volume just a little too high, the feedback to the caller is unbearable.

I'm about to join another poster who asked about how to unpair the two. Is there a way just to turn off the bluetooth module in the Z2? I really haven't been able to find much on any of the technical information on the ND-BT1 from Pioneer.

The delay in connecting is only with the Z2.
There's always the possibility that that's the best the Z2 can do with this specific phone...

I've also noticed that if you turn the volume just a little too high, the feedback to the caller is unbearable.
Yup. Same here, for all phones I've tried. And it makes sense being a speaker phone and all. It'd be nice if it could cancel input matching the speaker output, but I guess this was too difficult for Pioneer :roll:

Is there a way just to turn off the bluetooth module in the Z2?
Nope.

You can either unplug it, or do a Level 3 reset of the Z2, which will delete all paired phones (as well as most of your customized settings). Still, better than a Level 4 reset, which delets your library :shock:

I really haven't been able to find much on any of the technical information on the ND-BT1 from Pioneer.

The entirety of Chapter 9 (10 pages) in the Z2 Operation Manual focuses on the ND-BT1 and using bluetooth phones with the Z2. And if you REALLY want to get technical, The ND-BT1 Service Manual is buried in pages 262-288 of the Z2 Service manual, breaking down the circuit layout and EM field transmissions with an oscilloscope.

I've cropped the ND-BT1 Service Manual section and made it available on my site, as well as the other manuals I've mentioned. Link is in signature.

Thanks Inferno, some good information here, especially on your website. A quick question about resets. I don't know what the different levels are (yet) but if I do the one where you power on, hold the map button down, does that wipe your address book? That's the only real information I don't want to lose.

By the way, just fyi... I did take the Pioneer device off my BT list on my phone and set the phone to "not discoverable" but all day long in the car the Pioneer BT system kept polling my phone and asking for the security code. Pain in the butt!

The way I use this, I like using the Pioneer BT through the speaker system when I'm riding by myself, but with someone else in the car, I don't want my conversation on speakerphone, so I want to just pair it with my BT headset. It doesn't appear there is any easy way to do that with a toggle. It seems you have to totally delete the devices and then re-pair them every time you want to switch. Any ideas how to make this task easier?

Thanks!

I don't know what the different levels are (yet) but if I do the one where you power on, hold the map button down, does that wipe your address book?

Read the aforementioned Reset Instructions which describe exactly what gets erased by each of the 4 reset levels. Among many other things, LVL4 deletes your GPS Address book, phone address book, and your music library. Level 3 and below does not. More details are in the chart in the Reset Instructions.

I did take the Pioneer device off my BT list on my phone and set the phone to "not discoverable" but all day long in the car the Pioneer BT system kept polling my phone and asking for the security code. Pain in the butt!

Yup. Gonna have to do a Level 3 reset to get that to stop. =(

...with someone else in the car, I don't want my conversation on speakerphone, so I want to just pair it with my BT headset. It doesn't appear there is any easy way to do that with a toggle.

that's because you do this fron your phone, not the Z2. While you're on a call -- even if you've just started the call, go into your phone's menu and select the option to "move call to handset" or similar (the verbiage varies by phone). =D works great! I do it all the time.

Thanks again Inferno. I did read all the documentation (well not all of it), but enough to define the reset methods and I did a level 3 reset shortly after doing the lastest update on Gracenote. That got rid of my BT file in the Z2 so it doesn't keep asking my BB Pearl for a password. There are some nice features that I'll miss using the Z2 bluetooth, but in the end I guess it's worth it. It's too bad that the Pioneer BT didn't behave and play nice with the BB. I switch between BT devices all the time with no problem, but the Pioneer just wouldn't disconnect from the BB as long as it could find a signal to lock on to.