AVIC411.com

So i havent received my Z1 yet.Its due to come in next week however i have a couple concerns/questions about the z1, the illumination wire, and the STi.

Now to unlock all the features of the z1 while driving you need to turn your lights on and off a couple times as the unit is starting up. Apparently the z1 is then unlocked due to the change in voltage across the illumination wire. Also i have read that there is a nighttime mode than when you turn your headlights on the z1 changes its display to accomodate.

Now this all sounds great/easy whatever, however my understanding from all this is that turning your headlights on and off causes your cluster lights to turn on and off therefore cycling the illumination wire connected to the z1 therefore production a 0-12 volt square wave. The STi illumination wire does NOT do this because the cluster lights are ALWAYS On no matter if your headlights are on or off, therefore in order to cycle the voltage across the illumination wire you have to turn the dial that sets the brightness of the cluster a couple times. This turning of the dial helps with unlocking the z1 but doesnt help changing the unit into night time mode. SO instead of turning my lights on and off, i would have to change the brightness from bright to dark to see that change in voltage across the ILL wire.

So my question to STi owners with the Z1 is what have you done/did to get the unit to function in nighttime mode, or did you just not concern yourself with it?

i know about the ducattiboy circuit to cycle the illumination wire and im sure i could wire up a switch to change between 0-12V to trick the unit into night time mode but im just curious as to what you have done.

Also, does anyone know if the Z1 just looks for a change in voltage at the ILL wire or does it use the actual voltage...for instance does 12V at the ILL mean night time mode because if thats the case my car would be stuck in one mode all the time

IM sure this applies to alot of cars that always have their cluster lights on regardless of their headlights
Nevermind everyone.

There are actually 2 wires used for illumination in the harness on the sti and only 1 used on the harness that i will solder onto the Z1. The the wire that ISNT in the harness is the dimmer wire, the other one that is used by the harness is the illumination wire and does toggle between 0 and 12V depending on the position of the headlight switch.

so cliffnotes: subaru has 2 wires used for illumination, 1 that toggles between 0 and 12V that is the Illumination and one that has 4 voltages used for the dimmer. the Z1 WILL turn into night mode, but will NOT be able to dim according to how you set your dash lights