AVIC411.com

If AVICZ2 Software Update Fails....

Ahem, before I was enlightened by this wonderous site, I purchased this ebay item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... N.m313.lVI

Contrary to the dire warnings from the vendor that catastophic consequences may result, my vehicle shut off during the install (please don't ask how I could be so stupid, or remind me that life is tough - it's tougher if you're stupid). As a result of this malfeasance, the vendor has not been much help. The upgrade claims to update the firmware. Therefore, I'm concerned that a hard drive swop won't fix the problem. Here is my question - should I elect to purchase a replacement hard drive from a "popular auction site" will this fix the problem? Thanks.

Edit:

Wait, what exactly did the kit come with? A full Z1 to Z2 upgrade disc? Or just the 30mb hacked upgrade disc for unlocking early Z2's (available freely on this forum, lol)?

If you were using the hacked "Z2 bypass" disc, it might not be too late. The disc only updates the HDD and should NOT make changes to or damage the firmware. If this is what you used, YES, you might still be able to save it with a fresh Z2 HDD image (either by buying a fresh HDD or by reimaging the drive). This thread has everything you'd need to know about reimaging your HDD.

However...

If you were upgrading from a Z1 to a Z2, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do. Ya see, the real upgrade discs write the new firmware to a cache on the HDD. The next time it boots it triggers the firmware update from the HDD, and as you know, if power dies here, so does your Z1. Similarly, if you're upgrading with a HDD image (as many of us have done), The files from the upgrade discs are already on the HDD, and the next time it boots, it starts the firmware update and doesn't know any different

I'm not certain if the Firmware updater cache is deleted after the firmware is updated. Frankly, I see no reason for it to be; During boot, it probably just compares whatever is in the firmware updater cache against your existing firmware. If they match, it moves on, and if not, it starts teh update. That's how it seems to work anyway. To confirm, I'd need to try taking a Z2 drive/image that has already performed the firmware update and placing it in a Z1. But I digress.

Whether or not the firmware updater cache is deleted or not is a moot point for you as the firmware on your Z1 is corrupt. Don't bother buying a pre-imaged drive because, cache or not, your firmware still won't be able to boot it. There is no recovery mode for partial firmware (that I'm aware of). Pioneer might have something else to say though. I suggest you call them.

The official CNDV700HD upgrade FAQ (Located here) states:

Q: The software installation process was interrupted and will not restart.

CNDV-700HD FAQ – Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. – 5/01/07

A: Please call the Pioneer Navigation Update Technical Support center at: 1-800-832-4227. (If you are in Canada, please call: 1-877-283-5901.)

Q: The Pioneer navigation system has no functions after installation is complete.

A: Please call the Pioneer Navigation Update Technical Support center at: 1-800-832-4227. (If you are in Canada, please call: 1-877-283-5901.)

Looks like you need to call Tech support =\

Good luck

Ouch...turning the power off during a firmware update is never good...

BUT...in one of the hack thread's stickies, someone mentions that there seems to be some files on the HDD, that could try to fix things when things go bad....sooooo....I would maybe try a good hard reset and hope that there is some kind of "safe mode" to boot, to flash a good firmware....or maybe download the service/tech manual to get the sequence to get into the service menu....

I was hosting it, and would provide the download, but I think I may have not tightened down the security on the host directory I was hosting it on, and someone moved, instead of copied....

I was hosting the z2 image as well....so thanks to the asshole that took it off the directory....especially now that BigFloppy removed his link....but again, I really can't blame anyone else but myself....then again, it would still be there if it weren't for the incompetent fruitcake retard....

Section 6.7 TEST DISC states "After inserting the test disc, the title "06 INTERNATIONAL NAVI TESTDISC:GGV1194" will appear.

Does anyone have this test disc?

It's in one of the updates....SDATA>PRGO

I have no idea how to use it though......maybe just try to burn the files in the directory, and see what happens....though, I think it's mainly for audio(channels) testing...dunno...

ftp://flemdawg.com/

user:avic@flemdawg.com

password:pioneer

or

ftp://avic:pioneer@flemdawg.com

zich6,

You never answered my question. What exactly did the kit come with, or rather, what exactly was it doing during the update? Were you starting with a Z1, or did you already have a Z2?

This will help determine if it's the firmware, or the HDD.

If it is the firmware, I strongly doubt a test boot disk will boot. =\

Sorry inferno999. The kit was comprised of a CD and an instruction sheet. I don'y have the disc with me at work, so I can't tell you what files were included.

A little explaination may help. The AVICZ2 was installed in an '08 Corvette. As you may know, it has a starter button and an aux button that automatically shuts down power after about 5 minutes. The installer put the dic in under aux power and it shut off after 5 minutes. The display said "downloading" until the power shut off.

So what does it do when you turn the power on?

My thinking, is that the Avic is powered by Windows Automotive...and the Avic "dashboard" is running on top of that, in which the Windows part is running in the background...If that were true, then I would guess that there is two ROM chips...one stores the OS(windows) and one stores the Avic's firmware...

So what I'm thinking is that you can not mess up the Windows Rom, which probably holds the BIOS that tells the system to run either the AVIC's code on the ROM or if there is an executable on a disc if present...

So I'm thinking that you should still be able repair the Avic's ROM....

from what I recall, one of the updates that I've done, goes straight to the update...the other boots to the Avic's "dashboard" first...as to which one it was, I don't know....probably the firmware update...I think the bypass(30mb) update was the one that had to boot to the Avic dashboard first...

Do not hold me to anything I just said(if it even makes sense at all)...I'm not an expert at anything, and just throwing ideas out there...

...it shut off after 5 minutes. The display said "downloading" until the power shut off.

Then it sounds like it's just the files on the HDD, not the firmware. That's good, because it's probably repairable.

You have three options:

1. [*:1rpwi7tu]Try calling Pioneer to see if they might be able to send you some sort of boot disc (and share it with us if they do ;) )[*:1rpwi7tu]Or, pay $45 to unlock your HDD and re image it with a fresh Z2 image (link already posted above) [*:1rpwi7tu]Or, as you said, buy a new HDD with a Z2 image already on it.

[edit] Oh, and of course, no guarantee. These are just my suggestions. Buy at your own risk.