AVIC411.com

BOYO Camera not working with D3

Got my AVIC-D3 installed today (by myself). Everything works great, except the BOYO backup camera (VT400).

If I don't actually connect the camera, the D3 switches into rear-view mode when I put the vehicle in reverse. I have verified that I get 12V in reverse, and 0V otherwise.

If I connect the camera, the D3 doesn't even switch into rear-view mode. It does absolutely nothing. I put a voltmeter on the white plug where the camera connects, and I get 12V when in reverse and 0V otherwise. So I'm getting voltage to the camera, but for some reason the D3 doesn't want to switch over.

I'm really hoping I didn't mess up the cable, but I was pretty careful with it. It took me 2 hours to run it through my Ridgeline, so I really don't want to pull it out again.

What are the odds that it's the camera itself that's bad? Anyone else ever seen this with the D3? I have the rear-view camera enabled, and set for positive voltage to trigger. I tried negative, but it does nothing. Besides, without the camera connected the D3 does switch into rear-view mode.

Thanks!

whats the camera setting on the d3? is the polarity on ground/power? double check the settings in which i'm sure that you already did. it sucks to hear that it took u 2 hours to run everything but it looks like you should run it again and double check the wires, maybe it got pinched somewhere and an exposed wire is touching the body. good luck!

It's set to battery, since there is 12V on the line when in reverse. I tried setting it to Ground, but that didn't do anything.

I've triple-checked everything, but don't know what else to do. Like I said, without the camera connected the D3 does switch into rear-view mode like it should, but with no picture obviously.

If I connect the camera, it doesn't do anything, which tells me that the 12V is being grounded probably, thus the D3 doesn't see 12V anymore and doesn't do any switching.

Sigh....

It's connected to the reverse light power. It's got 12V fed to it when the vehicle is in reverse.

After further diagnostics, the camera is OK. I put it on a 12V power supply by itself and it works fine.

However, the 12V line drops to 2.6 volts at the connector at the bumper when the camera is attached, so I think somewhere along the line the yellow cable must be broken/shorting with something.

Guess I'll be pulling the cable out tomorrow to see if I pinched it somewhere along the door sill, everywhere else is just zip tied.

Argggggh

In my truck I found a wire that had 12 volts when in reverse. When I got my camera I hooked it up to that and it did not work. I had the same problem as you. I worked on it for hours until I figured it out. The wire that I found with 12 volts did not have enough power for the camera. When I checked the voltage at the camera I had 12 volts. When I pugged it in it dropped to 3. I just guess that the circuit could not handle enough amps to run the camera. I got the same results as you. With the camera unplugged it would show a black screen. With the camera plugged in it would act like it was not in reverse. What I did was cut into the wire going to the camera and pull out the power wire. I then spliced it to the actual wire going to the reverse light. That gave it enough power to run.