AVIC411.com

AUX input on the AVIC-D2

If I use an aux input to connect my iPod to the AVIC-D2...

a) I realize that would be controlling the iPod completely through the scrollwheel and not the D2 screen, but will all iPod funtions be available?

b) will there be any compromise in quality, as compared to a direct connection, such as Alpine FullSpeed?

c) where do i get such a connection?

Thanks!
a) All iPod functions should be available directly from the iPod.
b) It depends on how you hook it up. You will get reduced sound quality using the headphone jack. For best sound quality, get a cable that plugs into the dock connector. Those usually also charge the iPod at the same time.
c) eBay is the only place I've seen for those aftermarket aux adapters with a dock connector. [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-iPod-Digital-Audio-Aux-Input-IP-BUS-AVIC-N2-N1_W0QQitemZ300011338854QQihZ020QQcategoryZ60208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Here is an example[/url]. I don't know if that's the best price or not, just the first one I came across.
I just have a cord with RCA plugs on one end (plugged into AUX) and 1/8 plug on the other, which runs into my glovebox. I can select a playlist and shut the iPod in the glovebox or the door will close with the cord hanging out, too.

I won't argue the point that you may get better sound quality using a dock connector, but I have been very satisfied using the headphone output with a wide variety of different devices. Use the iPod volume to set optimum input level, and set the iPod EQ to flat (or another preset that doesn't emphasize bass). I am pretty picky about audio quality but not obsessive - I use similar adapters for home stereo and other applications and like the idea of spending $5 on an adapter I can buy at Radio Shack rather than paying for an iPod-specific product. There is some music where I have a fidelity fetish, and for that I buy the CD and skip the iPod entirely. Everyone will have different preferences on this.

I'll bet that GnatGoSplat is right about improved fidelity with a dock connector, but try the AUX input first, it's not much of an investment if you're not happy with the sound.
[quote name="GnatGoSplat"]a) All iPod functions should be available directly from the iPod.
b) It depends on how you hook it up. You will get reduced sound quality using the headphone jack. For best sound quality, get a cable that plugs into the dock connector. Those usually also charge the iPod at the same time.
c) eBay is the only place I've seen for those aftermarket aux adapters with a dock connector. [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-iPod-Digital-Audio-Aux-Input-IP-BUS-AVIC-N2-N1_W0QQitemZ300011338854QQihZ020QQcategoryZ60208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Here is an example[/url]. I don't know if that's the best price or not, just the first one I came across.[/quote]

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much.
There is also a part from Peripheral Electronics, the PXP01, a cable that plugs into the flat connector on your iPod, has RCA connectors on the other end, audio and video, and charges your iPod at the same time......about $20-$25 or so....
[quote name="jimmy303"]You could also use the CD-IB100II and get control of your iPod from your touch screen, along with a full display[/quote]

i thought everyone says it sucks? Slow, only shows 8 characters of text, scrolls one page of artists/songs at a time, etc...

I have about 30gb of music of my iPod and I don't really use playlists.
On the D2, the interface does suck. On the Z1/N3 the interface works MUCH better, with a better GUI, playlist display and much faster response to user inputs. The piece I described from Peripheral earlier would probably do you just fine, and give you video input, also
[quote name="jimmy303"]There is also a part from Peripheral Electronics, the PXP01, a cable that plugs into the flat connector on your iPod, has RCA connectors on the other end, audio and video, and charges your iPod at the same time......about $20-$25 or so....[/quote]

Lowest price i've found is $35.